Stainless engraved device labels for machines

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer of ours has requested stainless engraved device labels (prox's, photo-eyes, valves, motors, etc) on a machine that they are buying from us. Typically people request phenolic device labels, which we would make in house. Anyone have any place they'd recommend to source these? Generally they are 4" x 2" with up to 4 lines of text.

One thing worth asking your customer is if he also wants barcoding on the labels. I prefer the metal ones mainly because of robustness, but a nice benefit from using them is that you can put a barcode with whatever information (usually the tag name) and eventually have it linked with your maintenance system.

I agree with Cardocea, one thing I would look at is attaching the tags, stainless type tie wraps may be a requirement for a number of reasons, i.e. metal detection should it get into product, less likely to perish (some companies insist on using these).

I've purchased metal engraved plates from AB and AutomationDirect before. More recently we have been using a local retired guy that purchased a automated engraver for something to play with. There is also a place called www.legend-plates.com that looks like they can do just about any style you could want. I've not used them myself but an electrician friend used them for some larger signs and was happy with the work.

For small numbers of plates one can use a pc controlled "printer" device that instead of printing ink will hammer a hardened steel needle in flat surfaces to write characters. We use one for creating machine id plates (with machine name, date of manufacturing, serial numbers). It is too slow and too noisy to make large numbers of tags.

Another option, also for items from flat material, is laser cutters. In addition to cutting parts from standard size sheets these machines can use the laser at a lower power setting to engrave each part with e.g. a part ID and/or project ID. One would not use this process for creating the tag on a sports trophy. It is not that clear nor does it look neat enough for that. It would be good enough to create tags just for identification purposes.

Third option is similar to how plastic tags for buttons/switches can be made: small cnc bench to cut the characters in stainless steel plate. It needs to be much tougher to cnc in stainless as compared to plastic. The plastic versions are immediately readable because they are two layers, thin layer of white on a thicker black base layer. The cnc process cuts just through the white layer, making the contrast black letter very visible on the white surface. After cutting in stainless the characters would need a swipe of paint to make them more readable.

Last but not least: if the tags are not suffering any mechanical abrasion, text could just be printed on the surface. May wear off fast in some environments though.

What do you use to cut the phenolic's? Can you change the cutter and speeds to do metal? We have a Vision brand engraver. Does plastic most of the time, occasionally engraves locks for LOTO.

+1 for Carolina Laser. I have only ordered plastic from them but their web portal is excellent as is the quality of their work.

Here is a link to their stainless steel design/order portal. I am sure you can get them without the peel and stick backing and with one or no mounting holes or different size holes if you wanted them chained to a valve for example.

https://www.legend-plates.com/nameplates/stainless-steel

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, that gives me a few options to look into.

What do you use to cut the phenolic's? Can you change the cutter and speeds to do metal? We have a Vision brand engraver. Does plastic most of the time, occasionally engraves locks for LOTO.

I don't have specs of the machine that we use to cut the phenolics. I was told that our machine wouldn't do it, though maybe I'll get the model and RTFM, or ask the manufacturer myself.

@parky, we work with finished/packaged goods so it's rare that we have to worry about metal zip ties or metal detection. Typically when this happens, it's a corporate spec that every machine adheres to this, even though our machinery isn't handling the product at the point it can be contaminated.

I do not expect that to be feasible, not sure though. Here's my gut feeling, mind you not based on practical experience.

Cutting steel would require significantly different speeds. I would expect the cutter to spin faster, move slower. Additionally a cutting fluid may need to be added constantly (heat, wear), construction would need to be stiffer to prevent vibrations due to higher rotation speed and forces. A machine built specifically for cutting phenol will be quite a bit lighter (why built it more sturdy than it needs to be for the job).

A customer of ours has requested stainless engraved device labels (prox's, photo-eyes, valves, motors, etc) on a machine that they are buying from us. Typically people request phenolic device labels, which we would make in house. Anyone have any place they'd recommend to source these? Generally they are 4" x 2" with up to 4 lines of text.

Have you tried google ? I got multiple hits in your area, and all of them a phone call away.

But you don't need to stay local, I get all my PCBs made in China, no-one else can compete, even with import duties added when relevant.

Engraving is one option, laser engraving is another, etching is a third.

Have you tried google ? I got multiple hits in your area, and all of them a phone call away.

But you don't need to stay local, I get all my PCBs made in China, no-one else can compete, even with import duties added when relevant.

Engraving is one option, laser engraving is another, etching is a third.

I have googled, I was seeking advice from experienced people. If people have places they like and are comfortable with, that is nice to know.