I have retired!

One more thing.
I believe the world is made up of makers and takers. Most if not all on this forum are makers. The new order will penalize makers to pay for the takers. For too long I have felt that I exist only to support takers.
It is a good time to retire. As it turns out I am still working a little but less that 10 hours a week. I am tired of working just to pay taxes to the takers.

Agree 100%.

You were a great mentor me early on in my career Peter. As our experienced members retire, it will be important that more of us step up to these mentorship roles.

Very long update

Congrats Peter! Love the thought of being nomadic.
I am finding it hard to be as "nomadic" as I thought I would be. There is always something coming up that requires my attention.
I have given my advice to schedule things in the first week of the month so the rest of the month is free. There are always bills or something that comes up then.

I have gone though several medical test. I am good to go.

BTW, since I am now a senior citizen, I can buy "geezer" passes to the state and federal parks. The state park "geezer" pass allows me to camp at a state park for 10 days with for just a registration feed of $10 However, the pass cost $105 all together but the state parks cost up to $45 a day so it doesn't take long to break even. My federal pass allows me to camp at half price. Federal camps provide little but that is the way I like it. I don't stay at RV parks where there are too many people, no forests, no space and no calm. I have a Garmin GPS and satellite phone so I can go into the sticks/wild. When I arrive I send at text message that includes a map of where I am. Can't be without my satellite phone when it comes to safety. It is an Garmin InReach.

If I were in the UK I would probably buy a narrow boat. I watch narrow boat videos on YouTube. I like the idea of lots of solar panels. A narrow boat has MUCH more room that may truck camper. An electric powered bike seems like just the thing. It would be hard to get lost there so a satellite phone isn't required. I would be tempted to get a Star Link dish system.

More,
I don't want to die with out figuring out Einstein's proofs. I have gotten through time dilation which isn't hard once you make the big assumption that the speed of light is always the same not matter where you are.

I bought a Raspberry PI 4.0 Canakit. It is OK for learning but not much else. The 4 ARM core processors are OK but there is no GPU so video suffers. For $150US you can't expect much more. The main goal is to learn Linux. I haven't got into the ARM itself.

Also, we/Delta have been told that the Power PC line is coming to an end. We will switch to ARM CPUs sometime in the future.

I am no longer the motion contributor of H&P magazine as the H&P magazine is now defunct. The parent company of Hydraulics and Pneumatics magazine decide to merge it with another magazine. This will mean hydraulic info will be harder to obtain. If you are interested in Hydraulics or even Pneumatic control the download my articles while they are still there.

I obviously have MORE time to "harass"/educate you guys.

Even more, over 10 years ago I was asked to write a book about hydraulic servo control. The problem was that the book would cost about $200 and the publisher would get most of the profits. It wasn't worth it back then. Now I can make articles that are easy to publish. I use LaTex, scalable vector graphic files, .svg and word .docx files. I really like LaTex. I wish this site would support it. My site does.

Here is an example from my site. It is between forum member Norm D and me
https://forum.deltamotion.com/t/the-vccm-equation/378
Don't the equations look a lot better?

Last edited:
Glad that you're still keeping out of mischief Peter.

The Pi4 does have hardware video acceleration but it isn't as easy to make use of as it might be. last year i switched my Kodi implementation to an odroidN2

Glad that your still enjoying the truck camper. I finally gave up loking for a suitable second hand unit and bought new one built in Sweeden.

Happy Camping

Nick

GlenTarbet.jpg

Many folks just work for the healthcare. I just took 2 weeks off and did nothing just to get the feel of it. While I enjoyed the time, I'm not sure I could be that lazy for much longer.

My brother retired at 50 and never did anything more. It gave him a lot of mental trouble especially when the kids no longer needed him and most of the projects he worked on through his life are now drones used for target practice.

I still have a few years left on the clock but I'm watching those like you that are pulling the pin. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

My brother retired at 50 and never did anything more. It gave him a lot of mental trouble especially when the kids no longer needed him
This is a problem with retiring too soon. My grandfather retired at 60. The problem was that every time I saw him after that I only heard the same old stories. That is why the camper is good.

If I were in the UK I would probably buy a narrow boat. I watch narrow boat videos on YouTube. I like the idea of lots of solar panels. A narrow boat has MUCH more room that may truck camper. An electric powered bike seems like just the thing. It would be hard to get lost there so a satellite phone isn't required. I would be tempted to get a Star Link dish system.

I looked into renting one for two weeks in summer, several years ago. It turned out to be hideously expensive. My brother has considered selling his apartment to buy a somewhat similar vessel, in France. Once he worked out the annual maintenance costs and the amount of fuel needed on somewhat longer trips, he cancelled his plans. YMMV (pun intended).

It is also good to keep in mind that fuel prices in Europe are quite a bit higher than North America. I have driven an RV through Canada. Would not have done the same in Europe, at least not as big a rig and as far as I went in Canada - it would just not be funny.

More,
I don't want to die with out figuring out Einstein's proofs. I have gotten through time dilation which isn't hard once you make the big assumption that the speed of light is always the same not matter where you are.

A few years back I watched a great explanation of some of Einstein's work, presented by a "stand up physicist". Even though I have gone through both special and general relativity theory in university, it still was informative and at the same time very entertaining. Unfortunately it was in my native tongue. I'm afraid a version with subtitles is not available.

Also, we/Delta have been told that the Power PC line is coming to an end. We will switch to ARM CPUs sometime in the future.

You may want to take into account the chances of nvidia greatly reducing the wide application and availability of ARM CPU's at some point in the future as they bought ARM. Not sure if the ARM products will remain as widely available nor if future development will still be relatively independent of the interests of the new owner.

I obviously have MORE time to "harass"/educate you guys.

Hurray!

The equations look great on the Deltamotion site. In addition I very much like how any equation is magnified when the mouse hovers over it.

I have gotten through time dilation which isn't hard once you make the big assumption that the speed of light is always the same not matter where you are.

Agreed that one isn't particularly difficult to grasp. Absolutely fascinating stuff, maybe when I'm retired I'll have time to study in more detail...

I use LaTex
Another thing I wish I had time to spend on; my brother has done some hobby stuff with LaTex and had only good things to say about it.

ARM doesn't make the CPU's themselves. They license the technology so company like Broadcom and Apple can add extra features to the ARM cores.

Gas is getting to be more expensive here. My truck camper weighs 12,900 lbs. It is a RAM 3500 6.4L Hemi. I get 10 MPG. I have a 32 Gal tank. Fortunately most of the places I have gone are less than 200 miles away but last spring I went on a 900 mile trip around the state of Washington. I also went to a Northwood RV Owners meeting in Lagrande, OR. That was over 600 mile. Gas engineers are cheaper and easier to maintain than diesel. Diesels have way more torque and they have a turbo that helps at higher altitudes. My HEMI litertally sucks at higher altitudes. The HEMI is not a good option if I lived in Colorado. It doesn't make any difference now. The HEMI is being discontinued in favor of a smaller 6 cylinder double turbo charged engine. My camper
https://northwoodmfg.com/truck-campers/arctic-fox-camper/af-camper-990/
It has enough to last in the wild for weeks but I seem to run out of beer first.

Yes, the gas is expensive and is not a good option if you keep driving from place to place but I go some place and stay there for 4 days. The cost per day isn' that bad.

Now I can make articles that are easy to publish. I use LaTex, scalable vector graphic files, .svg and word .docx files. I really like LaTex. I wish this site would support it. My site does.

Here is an example from my site. It is between forum member Norm D and me
Don't the equations look a lot better?

I was in college when TeX and LaTeX became popular. I worked at the computer center there and we were huge proponents/users. This was before WYSIWYG but someone did make a viewer using the limited graphics of the first generation PCs we had available at the time. Not sure if it still is, but back the. The TV Guide magazine was done in TeX.

I used to turn in homework done in LaTeX. Had the best looking homework in the department. šŸ˜

I was in college when TeX and LaTeX became popular. I worked at the computer center there and we were huge proponents/users. This was before WYSIWYG but someone did make a viewer using the limited graphics of the first generation PCs we had available at the time. Not sure if it still is, but back the. The TV Guide magazine was done in TeX.

I used to turn in homework done in LaTeX. Had the best looking homework in the department. šŸ˜
Yes, and we had a good thread here using LaTeX.
The formulas look so much better than the simple text ones

This site helps one enter formulas and converts them to LaTeX.
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/latex_equation_editor.htm

I use LaTex for my magazine articles because now MS Word accepts LaTeX.

One more thing.
I believe the world is made up of makers and takers. Most if not all on this forum are makers. The new order will penalize makers to pay for the takers. For too long I have felt that I exist only to support takers.
It is a good time to retire. As it turns out I am still working a little but less that 10 hours a week. I am tired of working just to pay taxes to the takers.

Second that too.

Congrats Peter.
I am lurking on this forum since 2003, you might not remember me, just I always looking up at your posts, you did help me a big lot.

Thanks for all and wish you the best.
Marian

I am out at last too at 68 years old!

Almost 45+ years of being a maker pandering to the takers.
BUT have always enjoyed the journey and fulfillment of solving the many challenges presented to me.

Reinvented myself as an independent consultant after being "dumped" at 59 years old [too old, not enough skills or knowledge, overpaid, etc.] and it turned out to be very profitable, rewarding though stressful existence.
I only now wish I had been independent from the takers many years ago!

Best of wishes for your future!