SEL-735 Comms with CompactLogix 5069

schwoates

Hello all,

I am upgrading from a GE 90-30 to a CompactLogix 5069 and am wondering the best way to communicate with an SEL-735 PQM. The 90-30 has an IC693CMM321 which is capable of Modbus TCP via a COMM_REQ instruction.

How can I accomplish the same thing with the CompactLogix? If I have to add a stand-alone module like a MOXA or an in-rack module, please specify. I would like to stay away from adding anything, but not sure how I would go about Modbus TCP with a CompactLogix without an extra module.

Thanks

I just did this in ControlLogix on with Prosoft MVI56E-MNETC to talk to multiple SEL relays and it is a pretty painless setup. Biggest issue with the 735 is everything is LINT so you need to copy the pairs of registers to a holding DINT or REAL, but since you've got the GE functioning already I'm sure you're aware.

Glancing at the prosoft site, looks like there isn't a direct MNETC for the 69 series, but the MNET version would probably work.
(Edit: Looks like MVI69E-MBTCP would be close to what I worked with. Might be overkill for your application depending how many units you're sampling.)

I've not tried the Rockwell TCP AOI solution yet, so I'd be curious to hear if it works out well for you in this application.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Ken! Whenever I search for an AOI I have no luck, when I don't think to search for one, one exists šŸ™ƒ

Croc Tears, I recently did the same with a MVI69E-xx but with an older CompactLogix and w/e the part number for an L71. Was really trying to avoid any extra modules but thank you for the reply!

The AOI seems like it will work just fine. The existing system only has 1 connection to a single SEL 735 so it should be no problem. It's funny, I questioned the use of the Prosoft modules on the other project because I thought it excessive since the CompactLogix could use socket commands o_O

I will update with whatever issues I run into. Hopefully I can find a way to test this before implementing everything in the field.

How did it work out, did you run into any issues or was it straight forward?
Did you implement everything in the field, or are you still waiting to do so?
In a similar situation as you right now, just wondering if there is anything in particular I should watch out for.

Thanks in advance for your update Schwoates.