ABB ACS800 torque reference help

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am using a ACS800 regen drive to drive a 500hp motor for a engine dynomometer application.

I am currently running the drive via ethercat comms in speed control and to control the torque absorbed by the dyno, I am manipulating the torq limit parameter (20.04) via SDO write over ethercat. This works fairly well, but I think I would like to try to switch the drive into torque control mode. I will then use analog signal to the drive for torque setpt. I have both +/-10V as well as 4-20MA analog outputs available.

My issue/non-understanding is this:
The drive settings for torque control seem to be to me atleast all motoring torque reference/control. This would mean power into the motor instead of regen torque which is what I am wanting. It is not intuitively obvious to me that if I assign a bi directional AI1 (+/-10V) as the Ref2 (which should be torque reference), will a negative voltage tell the drive to control regen torque?