Stepper Motor Cabling

Jieve

So we have a station with 4 small stepper motors (600mA per phase draw) with encoders, cable run is about 10' (2.5m) from the cabinet. When the homing switch for one motor is run in the same cable as the motor, we get repeated false triggering of the homing circuit. I'm thinking of running one cable for phase wires for all 4 motors, and a separate cable for all encoder signals/homing switches for the 4 encoders. Would you expect there to be any issues with this?

Also, assuming shielded cable how would you ground shields? One end at the cabinet for the encoders and both ends for the motors?

Thanks for any input.

if it were me, I'd run a separate cable for each motor, a separate cable for the homing proxes, and a separate cable for each encoder

it will make maintenance/replacement a lot easier, and eliminate the possibility of false inputs

I should include that we were planning to have the main cabinet cables (about 10') run into a junction box, and from there separate cables out to each individual motor and encoder. That way only two big cables from the cabinet. But I suppose we could run them all separate and eliminate the junction box, since that could minimize the amount of possible EMI leaking over when using terminal blocks to split the wires.

Most drive home inputs are high speed and therefore very sensitive to noise. I'm with Scott. Separate the power, the encoders, and the other signals each in its own shielded cable.