shrink wrap problem

csolo2117

Yes I have a copy of some ladder logic on a shrink wrapper, the shrink ring isn't working properly can anyone look at my copy of the logic and help RSlogix5000

The PLC logic is the last thing I would look at without first looking for bad connections, pitted relay contacts, thermocouple integrity etc. Sometimes just going online with the PLC and watching the I/O will point you in the right direction. (I'm assuming that it hasn't been done yet)

I have to agree with Norml.

If it has ever worked ok and the PLC hasnt been changed then u need to look elsewhere. Of course monitoring the PLC may assist in doing that. Contact Rockwell/AB if u need software, or if u need a print out attached the file onto here and some kind soul will make u a pdf

The helping soul can be ME!

But, before anything else. I want to know who made the shrink wrapper.
It has built w/ RS5000 so I felt I might know who did. I'm end-user too and have shrink wrapper. IF PLC logic was never right 1st place, maybe it is time to fix once for all.

Typical my shrink wrapper problem;
The latching output of cylinder valve is sticking while the transfer push is active. In this case, I changed logic, so it doesn't interfere each other using sequential logics. Also, time to time, confusing TOF vs. TON vs. RTO timers conjuntion w/ transfer push delay. Well, even in this case, I had to change TOF to TON and make counter and RTO reset bit(Clear bit) use to re-arrange logics.

The helping soul can be ME!

But, before anything else. I want to know who made the shrink wrapper.
It has built w/ RS5000 so I felt I might know who did. I'm end-user too and have shrink wrapper. IF PLC logic was never right 1st place, maybe it is time to fix once for all.

Typical my shrink wrapper problem;
The latching output of cylinder valve is sticking while the transfer push is active. In this case, I changed logic, so it doesn't interfere each other using sequential logics. Also, time to time, confusing TOF vs. TON vs. RTO timers conjuntion w/ transfer push delay. Well, even in this case, I had to change TOF to TON and make counter and RTO reset bit(Clear bit) use to re-arrange logics.

I am sorry, but I can't understand what you are saying!

OP's problem.

I work with a couple of shrinkwrappers. Robopac and Octopus.

The "Logic" is basically spilt into: Getting the pallet into and outof the machine and; The wrapping cycle.

Unless the thing is homemade and may have never worked properly, check Sensors, Cylinders, Slip rings, film drive (AC or DC, drive contactors etc. I really wouldn't touch the plc.

Perhaps if you post the exact fault it would be easier to help.

Last edited:
Markie...Please look at the original post. It's not me asking questions. I am surely don't have problem.

The shrink wrappers, in the other hand, you are referring to pallet wrapper, such as robopac and octopus. I wasn't.
My wrapper is made by AMFA, and it packages 24 buns.
With 6 lanes of conveyor separates buns into 6 by 4 and plastic wrap comes down and seals on the side with wheels. Then sealed buns goes to platen device to make 4 stacks of 24 buns and push to another shrink wrapper. Then it will be transfer to packing machine and with 5th panel wrap around box will be formed and insert buns. After its sealed with glues and palletizer picks and place to pallets. Afterward, two stacked pallets will be wrapped again by Octopus and deliver to trucking lanes for shipment.

Hi Doylen,

Yes i realised you were describing your fault to the original poster!

When he said his "Shrink ring" wasn't working properly, I took it to mean that it was fitted with some kind of turntable with sliprings - like the octopus.

Perhaps his problem has gone away, as he hasn't replied?

Perhaps i shouldn't have responded as there is so little information to go on as to who made the machine and what it does!!!

Anyway, all this talk of buns is making me hungry.

Last edited:
If it has a shrink ring, it is likely a pallet shrink wrapper. We use them all the time in the Roofing Shingle industry to shrink an entire pallet of shingles as often the individual bundles are paper wrapped. Nowadays, more companies are going to individually plastic wrapped bundles, so the larger pallet wrappers aren't used as often.

I know Helix and Genesis intimately. Also a fountain of knowledge with Dimac machines too..
Whats your problem with the concrete factory. ?