Data to S7/400 MPI port

mikkel-t

Howe can i "put" some data to the MPI port on a S7/400 Siemens PLC

I havde connect a TA-adapter with a modem...

i want to havde fuld control of the mpi port on this plc

i know what command i should put into the modem... but how can i get it out og the plc......

sorry about my English

Tangs

Hej Mikkel,

what are you trying to achieve ?
I think you mean TS adapter, not TA adapter !

To program the S7-400 remotely ?
- STEP7 can do this with the option "Teleservice".

To Exchange raw data ?
There are two options from Siemens:
- Simatic Net OPC server.
- Prodave MPI.
- Not sure, but I think you need Teleservice for the above as well.

By the way, forget about "hacking" your way into the S7-400 via MPI. MPI is Siemens proprietary format, and it is too difficult for the average person to write ones own driver.

Last edited:
Hej Jesper

Yes i mean TS adapter

I will not hack this S7/400 plc... i havde step 7 and all other tool to this plc
I don't havde the teleservice software for this produkt. this is another company som havde buld this masine.

and i don't hvade This FB to use the adapter

This i want i a RS232 out of my plc troue the MPI

And where i can control the out put(/input) in this RS232

I know ther i some kinde af moduls where the RS232 i buld ind and mutch more easy to use.....

Hej igen ;)

OK, you still havent told what you want to achieve.

The TS adapter can work with a modem, and it can work directly with the serial port on a PC.

Hej

In first moment i want to send some sms to mobile... or i want to call a computer and then show a some information there....

this was somthing i that direction i thing

I can selv make this program, i want to use on the remote computer

But my problem i howe i send some information out on the MPI and to the RS232 on the TS adapter

OK.
You want to send data from S7 to a PC.
On the PC you want to write your own program to receive and display the data.

There are several alternatives:

- Simatic NET OPC server. You can access data from the OPC server from any application that supports OPC: Visual Basic, Delphi, Access, Excel etc.

- Prodave MPI. This is a dll library that is linked into your application. You can use this with Visual Basic, Visual C, Delphi etc.

- 3rd parties: Deltalogic , MHJ Software , Process Informatik .

This should give you some pointers where to start.
Good luck.

Hej

But you don't have a solution where this is the PLC S7 there call me?

That is what I need…

Therefore I want to know how I put some data out to the MPI to the Ts adapter

Tangs

Messages can be initiated from the S7 PLC with the standard library system function block SFB12 "BSEND".

It seems from the help that follows the OPC server that it will work with the OPC server. Cannot provide any details, as I havent tried this combination myself.
It probably also works with all the other solutions, but you have to check up on it.

If you are new to Siemens communications, then a training course is highly recommended. The learning curve is quite steep for everything with the Siemens logo on.

I must admit that I didnt fully understand what you wanted to achieve.
After rereading all your post I think I do now:
You want the S7-400 to dial out on the public telephone network and send an SMS message or a message to a PC in some kind of format.

THIS Siemens FAQ describes that it is possible to send an SMS from the S7 via a socalled "SMS Service Center".

Last edited:
Sending SMS

Hello Everybody,

For my thesis must i design an system where that an sms will be send to a gsm when there will be an alarmsignal that coms in into the PLC. And now i'm trying to create the communication between the PLC (s7 300)- modem. First i was trying to do this with serial communication, but that was to difficult and i need an other solutions.
Ans now i came across the FB48 for to send some SMS's. Can someone give some more information or send me that 'send' block, so that i can try it out.

Greetz Støk

Sending a SMS message

Regarding sending SMS from a PLC, there is at least 2 ways to skin the cat:

Useing standard dial-up modem

Check if your national phone provider have a dial-up number to a message center or SMS service center.
The phone number may be differente depending on an analog or ISDN access point.

The procedure is:

- make the modem dial-up the message center, establish connection.
- send data according to a given protocol
- hang-up and the message center will send the message to the GSM phone (or pager)

2 "common" protocol's are: TAP and UCP (Universal Computer Protocol)

Again, check with your provider if there is a message center with dial-up access in your country.

Here in Norway the 2 largest providers both closed their access point (it was free and you could send messages anonymous..), but there is at least one private provider supporting UCP (but not for free...)

Useing a GSM-modem/-terminal

No phone call is started, the message is transmitted to the terminal in command state. Same as sending a SMS message from a GSM phone, appart from that it isn't your fingers that make the message, but serial data from an external equipment, PLC or whatever.

The SMS service center number is not the same as for access via PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) or ISDN network. It's the same as you use to send SMS from your mobile phone, that is, if it is the same provider.

Last edited:
Mikkel,

as far as I know the MPI port cannot be used to send data in an 'RS232' way. You have however several options to send SMS's from the S7:
  1. Use a SCADA package or a DDE server program to get the data into the PC. Think of the money you'll need for this and you'll see this is almost always a 'no go'.
  2. Put an extra serial port into the PLC. It's affordable and on the Siemens website you'll find the info on how to proceed. Should be fairly easy and affordable.
  3. Use an integrated GSM in the PLC. I've heard rumours Siemens has one or is developping one, never have seen it however. This should be the easiest way, but I'm not sure if it is already available and what the price should be.
    [/list=1]

Kind regards,

Serial communication

jvdcande said:
Mikkel,

1. Put an extra serial port into the PLC. It's affordable and on the Siemens website you'll find the info on how to proceed. Should be fairly easy and affordable.
    [/list=1]

1. That's the way that we were trying to start, but with no result. We have tried it out with the 'serial send-blocks FB2 & FB3', but with no result. Do you know how we must send strings with it?

I know how to do it in S5, with the CP521 for S5-100U or CP524 or 525 for S5-115U/S5-135U, but I've never done it with S7. I don't have an S7 RS232 processor, so I cannot test it. I would have to read the manuals first.

I have however succeeded in sending SMS's through the Citect SCADA package. It took me some CiCode programming to do so.

Sorry I cannot help you any further.
Regards,

The questions here have been how to send data to the port, not what to send.

I am only curious, what is connected outside the port?

If it is a GSM modem/terminal, you have to know the AT-commands:
- how to configure the modem
- which AT command to send ++++.
plus the basic like the cable-diagram, SMSC number, a GSM SIM card with the possibility to send data, not only speech...

With dial-up modem, the same thing:
- AT commands
- Sending a string according to either TAP or UCP protocol
- number to a message center

Lot of things to stumble in, if there isn't a documented recipe.