Vista and PLC/SCADA software

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not a question but a report that may be of interest.
Replaced an old SCADA system today (Windows 95), Citect, Omron PLCs (8) using Controller Link.
Citect V7.1 is happy with Vista, Omron CX-Programmer is happy with Vista, Omron FINS Gateway middleware is happy with Vista, no one was sure about the Omron Controller Link PCI card.
1) Turn UAC off (user access control).
2) Installed Controller Link PCI card.
3) Installed FINS Gateway middleware.
4) Installed Citect V7.1.
5) Installed Citect/Omron FINS driver.
6) Updated and migrated (very important step that most forget) the old Citect project into Citect V7.1.
Had to do some setting up of clusters, servers etc but no worse than a new project.
7) Compiled and fixed any errors.
8) Took computer to site and installed.
9) Everyhting worked once I had altered an address in FINS Gateway.
10) Installed and updated Omron CX-One software.
11) Changed addresses in the old PLC software and fired Omron CX-Programmer software online straight away.
12) Ran Citect V7.1 and Omron CX-Programmer PLC software to the 8 PLCs without any problems (online to the 8 at the same time with the PLC software and Citect).

The upgrade has really been fairly painless - few problems but not many and easy to fix.

I know most here do not use Omron but if you do, do not be frightened away by all the doom and gloom people that will not use Vista. I was even asked by Citect support why Vista? - my answer was why not?

I have Citect running now on Vista with Omron PLCs with Omron Controller Link to the PLCs, serial, Ethernet (UDP), Omron Sysmac Link. Running much better tha XP Pro quite frankly.

For those that are waiting for the next version of Windows, it is only Vista with a new face. Vista runs really well for me - the biggest problem is all the slow coach PLC manufacturers that have been dragging the chain getting their acts together. I have been running Vista and Omron for 18 months now without any problems and I was also a beta tester for Citect V7.1 and the latest Omron/Citect FINS Gateway driver. The systems are all running very well - the only problem I have is that there are sevaral fixes/updates in the release version of Citect and I have to go back to the sites and update them.

I hope this is of help to someone.

Whilst I don't use any Omron kit it is good to see that upgrading to Vista can be quite painless.

I think the uptake on Vista by the manufacturers is probably because of the initial problems of the OS, maybe they even knew about Windows 7 being in the pipeline so decided to wait.

From what I understand Windows 7 is not dramatically different to Vista(all Vista drivers should work in Windows 7), but it contained system tweaks and enhancements to improve performance/resource management. I have played with the beta download and despite normally knocking Microsoft it hasn't gone too bad. It even managed to install ok with a multiboot of two previous XP Pro installs, all running on an Acer Aspire One netbook.

One thing I would like to see is the PLC/PC automation companies taking more of an interest in Linux. It is always worth having dreams!

Jon.

I too have been using Vista for a while (not with Omron) and have had no problems. I did get caught the other day trying to downgrade a new pc to xp at customers (IT) request. New hardware (motherboards etc) has no drivers for XP. HP lists a choice of drivers Vista32 and Vista64.
So it appears everybody is going to be dragged to Vista like it or not, hopefully SCADA and plc manufacturers keep up.
A bit scary when that old pc running the SCADA system (thats not tested on vista) packs it in and the only option is a new vista pc

Have been trying to install Omron CX-One on an HP 6735b laptop running Vista. It keep s bombing out and quitting install with error -1620. Anyone any ideas?:unsure:

Windows 7 is a dramatic reworking not just a facelift of Vista. It looks similar just like Windows 2000 "looked" like Win98. For those in our line of work, checkout Windows 7 XP Mode. This uses the new Windows Virtual PC (update to Virtual PC 2007) to run legacy apps. This is a fantastic new approach by Microsoft for supporting legacy apps. Get the old 16 code out of Windows and virtualize it. I am using 64-bit Windows 7 RC1 on my home PC as the main O/S. I had been using Vista 64-bit and it is a huge performance and visual improvement. Installation is a snap. I did not have to supply a single driver to get it up and running. OG

ToolGuy have you tried installing using Compatibility Mode in Vista. That will sometimes get around install issues. Also, try logging in as the Administrator not as a user with "admin" rights. This does make a difference in Vista. You might also have to turn off User Account Control (UAC). OG

ToolGuy have you tried installing using Compatibility Mode in Vista. That will sometimes get around install issues. Also, try logging in as the Administrator not as a user with "admin" rights. This does make a difference in Vista. You might also have to turn off User Account Control (UAC). OG
Have tried compatibility mode and installing as administrator. Haven't tried actually logging in as administrator or turning off UAC. Thanks for the tip, will try that.

Windows 7 is a dramatic reworking not just a facelift of Vista. It looks similar just like Windows 2000 "looked" like Win98. For those in our line of work, checkout Windows 7 XP Mode. OG

Regarding the XP Mode. It has come to light that XP Mode is not capable of running as binary translation. The computer that Win7 is installed on will also have to have VT support. Which means certain current production Intel chips may not support XP Mode. (like the useful low-power Atom line)

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/r2e-microsoft-intel-goof-up-windows-7s-xp-mode.ars

Yeah, it must be coded in executable for program to be able to ask UAC permission(so opld programs cant do that), so in many times if install just fails, try running it straight as administrator or turn UAC off.

Hi Bob,

Not a major, but possibly some relevance, is the Vista version that you went to.

I have a customer that supplied a Home Basic machine, and have struggled to get CX-Supervisor running correctly on it.

Yes, Your Intel or AMD chip must support hardware virtualization which is not something that every new chip does. OG
Regarding the XP Mode. It has come to light that XP Mode is not capable of running as binary translation. The computer that Win7 is installed on will also have to have VT support. Which means certain current production Intel chips may not support XP Mode. (like the useful low-power Atom line)

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/r2e-microsoft-intel-goof-up-windows-7s-xp-mode.ars

Glad to help Fred. I had a similar problem with another piece of software where I had to turn on the Administrator account and login as the Administrator before I could install. A user with Admin rights just would not work. Similarly I have seen that problem with UAC just for installation. After installing you can typically turn it back on. OG
Turning off UAC has allowed me to install CX-One. Many thanks, OperaGhost. (y)

Windows 7 is a dramatic reworking not just a facelift of Vista.

I have had two of my customers tell me that they are running it... and they love it, not sure if the general public can get it yet (OG, I guess you got it through your work?), but once they come out with SP1 I will get it :D (I figured the first SP would take care of the major issues)

Good stuff, OP. There's also virtualization if you have compatibility problems! BTW Win 7 should come with a single Windows XP license in a virtual machine, which is awesome!