OT. EV project. Choosing an AC Drive.

elevmike said:
I notice there appears to be a tape deck in the Highlander?? But not in my Dodge ;( ...
Yep, once you insist on the NAV you kinda get everything else, in dash CD changer, tape deck, leather, etc, etc, etc... winds up making for an expensive ride, but I'm actually saving money given the number of miles my wife drives :)

elevmike said:
Thoes are great shots Mark. The display seems to be designed to peak intrest so-as to challange the driver to to better driving habbits..
That they have (and do). Actually my gas mileage in my '02 Pathfinder has increased from 14MPG to 15.5MPG since we bought her car in February; guess its rubbed off on me even when I'm not driving her car.

Originally posted by marksji:

Near as I can tell this is roughly how Toyota handleds it. When you lift your foot off the accelerator the electric motors begin charging the battery, but the decel is almost un-noticeable, only slightly more decel than a typical automatic with IC engine. The biggest difference is Toyota must have a variable decel rate based on brake pedal position/force because you can actually alter the battery charging rate (and decel rate of the car) by varing force on the break pedal with out ever putting much force on the friction breaks. I think that to keep things simple a drive with two discrete decel rates would be more than sufficient for regen braking.

My guess is they don't rely on decel rate but on a variable reverse torque limit. The gas pedal probably provides a direct speed reference. However, they use a low baseline regen torque limit when you pull your foot off the gas and a variable, increasing torque limit as you push the brake in. This would make the pedal response seem pretty seamless.

Keith

How do you put a 5HP electric motor on this thing and drive it with any kind of comparable power to a conventional engine? Isn't power equal to simply "work" times "distance"?

Jimmy,

Adding to Mark's answer, with a good battery bank and the proper drive my 5 HP electric motor might produce the equivelent of 40 peak HP as compaired to a gas engine. My suspicion is that Marks 65 HP Highlander motor would be rated at maybe 8-10 hp continous, as specifically designed EV motors are also commonly rated at Peak HP. It appears that the Highlander has two motors which would be the equivelent of 130 availiable peak hp.