Koyo Plc

Fonzie66

Does anyone out here have any experience with KOYO PLC's?

I have studied the instruction list and in my opinion it offers a lot of possibilities at a very reasonable price.( in Holland that is, the only positive thing about the euro currency)

A lot of possibilities are available including servo stepper motors and e very cheap OPC server. I haven't heard about KOYO before though.

Anybody worked with this?

Fonzie66 said:
Does anyone out here have any experience with KOYO PLC's?

I have studied the instruction list and in my opinion it offers a lot of possibilities at a very reasonable price.( in Holland that is, the only positive thing about the euro currency)

A lot of possibilities are available including servo stepper motors and e very cheap OPC server. I haven't heard about KOYO before though.

Anybody worked with this?
KOYO is now Automation Direct.
They used to build PLCs for many outfits such as GE Fanuc, Siemens, etc
A lot of people on this site work with the current generation of their products, Bernie Carlton being one of them.
I've used the product a few times. works well and it is dirt cheap.
http:www.automationdirect.com

I used the Koyo (Automation Direct) 205 and 305 series of PLCs many years ago.

They were inexpensive and did the job well. I would use them again if I had the right application. They are overkill for the current projects I am involved with.

What's really best about AutomationDirect (aka Koyo) is their tech support, and not the cost of the hardware. AutomationDirect PLCs are compartively inexpensive, however with a quanity deal from most other manufactures, you can approch the cost of comparitable competitors hardware. Additionally the cost of the PLC & related components are usually a small percentage of the overall project costs.

The bottom line is what puts us with AutomationDirect is ease of use, ease of purchase, & very good tech support.

I've never heard of Automation Direct before.
Do they look like this?

p2_t_05_plc.jpg

Last edited:
That is the DL05 brick PLC. It is the smallest PLC that we carry. AutomationDirect also carries rack mount PLC's as well.

Koyo has been around for a long time. They were introduced in the USA as the GE Series One back in 1982. Today those same PLC's are still being sold today as the DirectLogic DL305. It's amazing to me to hear customers calling in to tech support for replacement of a rack or card for a system that was purchased over 25 years ago.

Last edited:
We have used them on occasion for small assembly machines. Our shop is mainly AB, but I wanted to try one.
Taked my boss into letting me buy a couple. I liked them very much, and they are inexpensive.
Machines are now obsolete, so they are destin to be built into home automation.

Thanks for all the input. I had a long talk with the Dutch reseller today and I think we can make some nice machine control systems with this product.

If you have any questions, their tech support is outstanding...or you can post here as well. There are some great programmers here that have pretty much done it all.

I used one of their C-More HMI once, and was quite pleased with it. It was an application where a Unitronics panel was just too physically small to display what I needed.

That said, I connected it to a Vision 280 in a panel. I've tinkered with a few AD units in our test lab, where the manager was hung up on the cheapest widget, and I really REALLY didn't like their software at all.

TM

I have several AD unit in the plant. They have been for the most reliable, and they are relatively inexpensive. Also have a lot of SLC's and MLX. Both have their place, and it depends on what you plan to do. I probably won't put in any more AD's since we have been directed to standardize, but that's not a knock on them. I will say that I didn't care much for the Directsoft software. Maybe the newer versions are better. I've used AD,AB, Siemens, GE Fanuc and Omron, and you won't find a more user friendly platform than RSLogix,(just my opinion), if your budget can stand the AB pricing structure, and all the other BS. The other thing i would consider is you can get support from AD. AB requires a yearly service contract. I like AB very much but their policies, and overall general attitude, especially their recent software activation systems, are driving me away, probably back to Omron

One more thing the AD modules are a pain to wire up. If you go with AD, spend the extra bucks for the module wiring accesories kits.

That's my 2 cents for what its worth.

This last sentence (about the wiring) answered the question I was going to ask next.

Always good to have people wanting to think along with you!!

One more thing the AD modules are a pain to wire up. If you go with AD, spend the extra bucks for the module wiring accesories kits.
I find they are only a pain if I don't have the right-sized screwdriver, or if I don't have a good connection diagram. Connection diagrams can be made using information from the Automation Direct User manuals. Screwdrivers can be bought many places.

You cannot have a compact efficient PLC without also having a small compact terminal block. If you are far-sighted, get good bi-focals and a good magnifying work light. Those work for any small PLC!

Last edited: