Need a Serial Port and Want a Dell? Better Hurry!!

Operaghost

I just found out from a Dell rep that the Dell D630 and others are due to be replaced. The new models will NOT have serial ports. They are projected to only have models available until the end of the year.

I bought the D830 but I love the D630. we use a ton of them and will probably stock up before they are gone.

OG

Yeah, the D630's are OK, But

The graphic cards installed do not provide enough resolution for good ladder logic troubleshooting. (1024*768) Max.
I would recommend the D830, except for the weight issue.

Well the D630s we have do 1280 x 800. It looks good but I would want a nice monitor for everyday programming use. Opt for the nVidia card and you get 1440 x 900 that is very nice.

My D830 does 1680 x 1050 and I love it. However when traveling it is very heavy and tough to open up and use on a plane.

OG

I have an older D620

it does 1440x900. I like it. It has a serial port too but I think the serial ports are going the way of the dinosaur. What bothers me is is that USB devices are still 8 bit interfaces with lots of waits states. In other words it is a crime for a 32 or 64 bit computer to access them.

I have the D620, and have had a couple of D800 previously. Never been able to keep a serial port in them for more than a year, so I'm of the opinion that the USB to Serial port adapters will work just fine and offer a line of protection that you can't get with the mother board mounted serial ports.

baref00t25 said:
I have the D620, and have had a couple of D800 previously. Never been able to keep a serial port in them for more than a year, so I'm of the opinion that the USB to Serial port adapters will work just fine and offer a line of protection that you can't get with the mother board mounted serial ports.

Wow -- what are you doing to your serial ports?? I've been in this business for 20 years and have NEVER lost a serial port... (maybe I'm not trying hard enough ;) )

That is what my co-workers always pick on me for. Every time that I've lost a serial port it has been when I'm just connecting the serial cable and a static spark arcs from the cable to my computer. It's also always been on a running machine when I've lost them.
The best one was on one of my 820's when the customer was right next to me. I plugged the serial cable in and smoke started coming out of the keyboard, then the laptop did the blue screen of death, then a couple of keys on the keyboard started melting. I turned to the customer and said that I needed to come back a different day. The Dell service tech was impressed. :)

Remote serial ports

Our company offers a relatively low cost Serial to Ethernet AND serial to 802.11 wireless product in one. It's called a DeviceMaster AIR. It offers a single serial port, and with our driver installed it can be seen as a COM port - as though it exists on the laptop itself.

Has anyone tried Sockets dual serial I/O pc card? It adds 2 serial com ports to your laptop via your PCMCIA slot. I have been using a one for a few years now without any issues. I usually leave my built in com port setup for A.B. and use the Socket ports for every thing else.

I plugged the serial cable in and smoke started coming out of the keyboard, then the laptop did the blue screen of death, then a couple of keys on the keyboard started melting.
By any chance, did this site make or handle some type of dairy-feed additive (such as potassium carbonate)? If so, I understand why your laptop sometimes melts down....:oops:

Last edited:
I purchased a Dell D520 for the real serial port. The port didnt work, so the replaced the laptop. Same problem with the replacement. Really couldnt get anywhere with the people in India, so bought a Belkin adapter. The adapter works fine. The only hitch is I have to wait till the laptop is compleated booted to plug in the adapter.