The US has gone to hell and will probably stay there for eternity

Wirepuller,

My father returned from Europe in July 1945 with all sorts of items (combat trophys) that would today, put him in the headlines & land him in prison for a long long time. My how things have changed...

Peter,

I'm pretty certain why the dog picked the vaccum cleaner, however I hope my mother never figured it out.. I lost the scuba gear to Canadian Customs (another dog). Back then I was more of a libertarian, but today I grew old to become a consertive and would beat my kids to a pulp if a border dog pointed at anything in their mothers car...

Personally I think the data search to be totally pointless. However no matter who's in office, the right of the boarder patrol to search & seize anything at will, will go on. I would feel far better protected if they would close the gaping holes in the seive to the south.

Lancie1 said:
Wirepuller,

I am sorry that happened to you. Thank you for defending our country.

A bunch of those protestors planned an event at my cousin's son-in-law's funeral (who was killed in Iraq). But about 100 large men of the local HOG (Harley Owner's Group) showed up and blocked the driveways to the funeral home and did not let any of those unrespecful, unappreciative idiots inside the parking lot. Boy, were they mad. Too bad.

Lancie I am glad those HOG guys took care of your family right to mourn in private undisturbed.

Wirepuller
As a Vietnam vet I say
Maybe we should not be in Iraq maybe we should
- REGARDLESS
you guys went there and did what you contracted to do whether or not you agreed with it. I respect you for that and support you. I am sorry as hell people have the stupidity to take out their right to protest on guys who were just doing their job. If I had any say over that they would have been in jail for assault wit the first tomato toss.

We need more guys like those HOGS.
Dan Bentler

I'm not even in the same country as you guys but I have to say I agree with Dan on this one , I have personal opinions as to wether we should be in Iraq or not, but I have the utmost respect for everyone who went there. You all went there on our behalf. As far as I'm concerned your all Hero's

For 50$ a month u can get a 'seedbox'. A remote server with OS of choice, 100gb minimum storage and 100Mb/s bandwidth.

For 50$ a month, you can upload all your data to that server, cross the border with a freshly installed OS, then DL it once ur past the border.

Its really easy to get 'terrorist data' into the US.

Heck, just make it a torrent and dl it like that........

But then again, in the UK they are gonna monitor the internet traffic, won't be long until the US starts doing the same....

But as Peter mentioned, stenography (spelling?) might be nice and very hard to catch...

AFAIK, this is NOT anything new.

Basically, anything you bring into country can subject to inspection and sometime, holding periods.

The court has concsistantly held up governments right to do just that over the years (again, way before 9/11).

For the record, I hate this as much as anyone else here but the law is quite clear. At border crossing, YOU ARE NOT YET IN THE COUNTRY, this is commonly recongized international principle recongized by most nations. That why some governements have blacklisted individuals so they can turn away unwelcomed folks at crossing without involving their domestic law.

As for the seizures, yes it's here, and more is coming. Homeland security operates with almost total impunity. Your calls are being monitored, your emails intercepted, tomorrow PLCS.net will have disappeared, and my next communique will be coming from Club Gitmo as an indefinite detainee.

What really astonishes me is how anybody can blame the SPENDocrats for any of this? C'mon, all this went down with Republicans in control of both sides of congress, rubber-stamping anything this petty tyrant and his Sith Lord master asked for.

It's disingenuous, like blaming Finland for 9/11. Hats off to Rush Limbaugh, only he could convince a large segment of the population that Finns were at the controls...

Somebody blamed the courts for not putting a stop to this - with GWB and Cheney blocking every subpeona, and Democrats only gaining a voice 2 years ago, who had the power to do anything to stop it at all? The last president to claim this much authority, immunity and impunity via executive privilege was Richard M Nixon - but no suprise there, I suppose.

And I 100% agree - the point of all of this is to create the impression in John Q Voter that there is a threat and something is being done, even if nothing is getting done. "If you're not busy, look busy".

TM

TimothyMoulder said:
As for the seizures, yes it's here, and more is coming. Homeland security operates with almost total impunity. Your calls are being monitored, your emails intercepted, tomorrow PLCS.net will have disappeared, and my next communique will be coming from Club Gitmo as an indefinite detainee.

What really astonishes me is how anybody can blame the SPENDocrats for any of this? C'mon, all this went down with Republicans in control of both sides of congress, rubber-stamping anything this petty tyrant and his Sith Lord master asked for.

It's disingenuous, like blaming Finland for 9/11. Hats off to Rush Limbaugh, only he could convince a large segment of the population that Finns were at the controls...

Somebody blamed the courts for not putting a stop to this - with GWB and Cheney blocking every subpeona, and Democrats only gaining a voice 2 years ago, who had the power to do anything to stop it at all? The last president to claim this much authority, immunity and impunity via executive privilege was Richard M Nixon - but no suprise there, I suppose.

And I 100% agree - the point of all of this is to create the impression in John Q Voter that there is a threat and something is being done, even if nothing is getting done. "If you're not busy, look busy".

TM

WELL SAID!!!!

And for the record, those protesters are the worst kind of scum. We had them making trouble at funerals down here, too. We could solve alot of that problem (and empty out a couple of trailer parks) by drafting the lot of them and sending them to Afghanistan.

TM

elevmike said:
I'm pretty certain why the dog picked the vaccum cleaner, however I hope my mother never figured it out..
<snip>
...would beat my kids to a pulp if a border dog pointed at anything in their mothers car...

:ROFLMAO:

Mom vacuumed your bedroom? :nodi:

ROFL.

The powers that be are utilizing war time powers in the same manner that Abraham Lincoln did during the Civil War. (Whether or not you believe that we're in a war is another debate.) This is nothing new, just applied to new devices.

Yep - and I hope that remains the case.

Stenography/steganography can take on many different forms, and has throughout the years - the basic idea being that it's not obvious that a message exists. Modern methods can play with wording and synonyms (lexical stenography), encode data or images within images, etc.

Jeebs said:
Its really easy to get 'terrorist data' into the US.

But as Peter mentioned, stenography (spelling?) might be nice and very hard to catch...

Steganography. Now you can spell it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography
I know someone that has worked in the field. I learned a little but he didn't go into details. I learned a little. Mostly how people have used steganography to smuggle data and other pictures. Now the intelligence service are aware of the technique. Every picture is a has the potential to smuggle in data. I don't see how the gov can scan all the pictures. That is why I don't think you will ever get your cameras or computers back once they are taken It would take too long to scan all the disks and files.

Why would anyone want to come here on a business trip if they are going to lose their laptops at the border because an agent likes their computer? That lowers us to the same level as Kuwait.