Dh-485 Network Question

mattbdb

I am trying to link 3 pieces of assembly equipment to one PC to make it easier for the maintenance technicians to troubleshoot a problem rather than connecting to indvidual robots using a PIC driver. I am using one "1" PC and using three "3" SLC 500 DH-485 LINK COUPLERS to do this. I believe I need to "daisy chain" link these together but I don't know where to start. I need information on what cables and other things I would need to set this up. I would just buy a module for this but I am trying to save money and use what I already have . Any information about DH-485 and specifcally concerning my issue would be greatly appreciated.

You are off to a good start. Each SLC-500 controller is going to need one of those 1747-AIC "isolated link couplers" to connect it to the DH-485 trunkline.

Belden #9842 is a good multiconductor cable to use for DH-485 trunklines. That's the cable with which you will make the "daisy chain" connections between the AIC couplers. Publication 1770-6.2.2 is the authoritative reference on this cabling.

The 1747-AIC couplers connect to the SLC's DH-485 port with a cable called a 1747-C11. They have an unusual "AMP" connector on one side and it's impractical to make them yourself.

On the PC side, you might have a problem using a 1747-PIC or a 1761-NET-AIC with the "PIC driver" in RSLinx. It's been discussed at length both here and elsewhere that many PC serial ports today don't supply the necessary RS-232 voltages to run those devices. If you have trouble with your existing hardware, a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 interface will be the inexpensive option to connect your PC to this DH485 network.