FTView SE Windows 10 FM20.dll issue

ArtWalls

Gentlemen -

Our site is in the process of upgrading our clients from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (SE version 9.0), and we have a couple screens that use the Microsoft Forms 2.0 ComboBox ActiveX controls. The VBA behind the form loads the combo box with whatever is needed for the control (it varies).

When I load the display, the Display_AnimationStart event calls a routine LoadTapRcv, passing it the combobox control and some parameters for loading the values. The code looks like this:

Private Sub LoadTapRcv(byval cmbCurr as MSForms.ComboBox, dblStart as double, dblEnd as double, dblIncr as double)

with cmbCurr
.clear
for dblcurr = dblstart to dblend step dblincr
.AddItem dblCurr
next dblcurr
end with

End sub

The .clear command runs just fine, but when it gets to the .AddItem, I get the message:

RSIVBA Module has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Of course, it doesn't notify me, the client has no external access and I suspect it wouldn't work even if it did.

I've checked the FM20.dll versions on my Windows 10 engineering station vs the client, they have the same version. TechConnect said there might be some versions buried in another location on the client, and suggested I apply the latest patches. The latest patches didn't work.

I tried loading the values in using a .List, that blew out VBA as well.

Any ideas?

There actually is error handling in the routine, I just didn’t bring it across. No error code is produced, it just crashes VBA with the message above.

I’m going to try building it on the HMI server today, instead of my engineering station, see if that helps.

What a pain...

Our HMI server had an old (2010) version of the FM20.dll file, so it didn't recognize the ActiveX ComboBoxes; I had to delete all of them and replace them with a new one from the toolbox, of course setting all the properties the same, and ensuring the layering was OK. That still didn't fix the issue.

When I replaced all the ComboBoxes, I did the first one and tested it, seemed to be OK. I then copied it for the rest of them. So, it shouldn't have been an object issue, if it worked for one, it should work for all of them. The VBA still blew out at the same location, with the same indications.

When I was looking in the debug window at the client, I was doing some cleanup and tried to compile the code, it complained that it didn't know what the MSForms.ComboBox was on the parameter list. The client had the same reference to the same version of the FM20.dll on my engineering machine, but still wasn't compiling. So, just for kicks, I changed the parameter from a MSForms.ComboBox to an object.

voila!

My code now reads:

Private Sub LoadTapRcv(byval cmbCurr as Object, dblStart as double, dblEnd as double, dblIncr as double)

with cmbCurr
.clear
for dblcurr = dblstart to dblend step dblincr
.AddItem dblCurr
next dblcurr
end with

End sub

Just for kicks, I tested it on the older Windows 7 clients, still works. I'll call this one resolved.