The US has gone to hell and will probably stay there for eternity

Remind me again to never travel to the states Its hard enough to get tech's from the states across the border to service their equipment in Canada often times they get held upt for a week at a time. Can only imagine how long its going to take now

That could literally put someone in our industry out of business and subject him to millions in potential liabilities.

Since I'm crossing the pond later this month, its a concern.

I wonder how long it will take for the human brain to fall into the category of being a mass storage device ?

L D[AR2 said:
I wonder how long it will take for the human brain to fall into the category of being a mass storage device ?

And then they drag your arse off to an undisclosed location for an unspecified amount of time.

...the things we are doing to ourselves in the name of terrorism... they are certainly winning...

Peter Nachtwey said:

Ill probably go to jail for this:
Homeland Security kiss my rosy red A**.

The whole idea of doing something bad is to not get caught. This covers spectrum from raiding the cookie jar, stealing company tools, robbing banks, terrorist acts.

For the bad guy to win he has to not get caught every time. For the cop to win he has to catch only once.

If they want to do it bad enough and are smart enough you will not be able to prevent it.

If people from other countries want to come here to avoid starvation and do back breaking menial work (picking lettuce etc) then by all means let em come. I sure as hell wont pick lettuce. I work with a lot of these people they can (and do) outwork most Americans and for the most part are smart and honest folk. They just need more education.

Take the money we so foolishly spend on this border protection trash and give it to the schools to educate our kids and theirs.
Even if their kids go back home we still win - educated neighbors are safer neighbors.
Dan Bentler

I wonder if they will take my CDs too? They aren't electrical devices.

I can back up the computer to CDs.
I have talked to people about steganography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography
one can hide data in harmless looking vacation photos stored on a disc.

Are they going to take cameras too? Image losing your vacation pictures or pictures of what you did on the job.

This isn't actually new news, and has been the policy for quite a while (I'm not defending it, because I also find it pretty dispicable). I have no idea how many people have actually had their computes confiscated.

That said, I treat something like this like I would any catastrophic event like fire or theft: Be prepared. I regularly ghost my hard drive (like, every couple of days), and I definitely would do it before an overseas trip. I use stock computers, so I could always get another one in short order, and just replace the hard drive with my backup. It would suck to have my laptop confiscated for no reason at all, but it's just as bad to have it swiped at the coffee shop.

I used to think we had a government:
  • Of Big Business
  • By Big Business
  • For Big Business
While that still seems true to me, it looks like Mr. Orewell's Large Sybling is taking over now:
  • Of Big Brother
  • By Big Brother
  • For Big Brother
"Welcome to the Ministry of Love"

Sad part is that the your laptop will get taken but the guy with the bomb plans on his will get thru because to detain him would have been racial profiling.

It seems like every day this stuff just gets more bizare. What is the point of saying we are defending freedom when you have BS like this.

I mean think about it. If a terrorist needed to get bomb plans to the US, why would he bring them in on a laptop. Why wouldn't he just email them to a buddy already in the states?

This whole "home land security" has turned into a total farse. Can we get the option of keep our constintual rights? I think I would rather have my freedom and take my chances.