Devicenet 1747 Driver

Cherokee 96

I am trying to access AB drives which are on device net connected to 1747 SDN through RSnetworx.
Firstly I am unable to create 1747 devicenet driver on rslinx, as it says to change the values of M0 and M1 depending upon the version of the firmware.When I try to change the value of M0 and M1 and download(through the network) to the Processor(SLC 5/04 - 1747 l542B),the processor faults out. Program gets wiped out.
What am i doing wrong ?

I put back the old program and it is ok, as of now the values of M0 and M1 are 256.

Please help

Thanks

The firmware revision of the 1747-SDN matters, as well.

Revision 4.015 361 elements
Revision 4.026 361 elements
Revision 5.01 361 elements
Revision 6.02 or higher 395 elements

The controller program shouldn't be cleared... that's very strange. Can you get back online and read a fault code ?

The firmware revision of the 1747-SDN matters, as well.

Revision 4.015 361 elements
Revision 4.026 361 elements
Revision 5.01 361 elements
Revision 6.02 or higher 395 elements

The controller program shouldn't be cleared... that's very strange. Can you get back online and read a fault code ?

Thanks Ken
Its revision 4.015 series B. I don't know if the series matters
After the change to 361,I get a message - download failed, communication errors.

So cant get online though the network,so hook up a serial cable, and then go online I get fault code 0001h.

what am I doing wrong ???

Mainly for future readers...

I'd like to know what those "issues" are? It sounds more like they couldn't be bothered and so they fobed you off, forcing you to procure the relatively expensive DeviceNet interface that is the 1784-U2DN. Still, it's always important to have a native DeviceNet interface for route 1 network interactions.

If there is "some" anomaly with using a 1747-SDN at firmware revision 4.015 for DeviceNet pass through, then they could simply have directed you to firmware revision 6.002, which is the most stable revision available...

PCDC

(Don't use revision 7.006)

You use ControlFlash to upgrade the firmware revision. Don't forget the change in M file size to 395 for r6.002, as kindly provided by Ken. Also, once downloaded, power cycle the processor and toggle it between Run and Program Mode a couple of times.

For anyone using a Series B 1747-SDN and attempting to configure DeviceNet pass through, I would strongly advise first flash upgrading the scanner module to r6.002.

I'll bet though, that even had you flash upgraded the scanner module, you still would have had the same downloading issues. Did you try downloading the modified program via the serial port?, rather than via the "network" (controller DH+ port I assume?).

Regards,
George

I'd like to know what those "issues" are? It sounds more like they couldn't be bothered and so they fobed you off, forcing you to procure the relatively expensive DeviceNet interface that is the 1784-U2DN. Still, it's always important to have a native DeviceNet interface for route 1 network interactions.

If there is "some" anomaly with using a 1747-SDN at firmware revision 4.015 for DeviceNet pass through, then they could simply have directed you to firmware revision 6.002, which is the most stable revision available...

PCDC

(Don't use revision 7.006)

You use ControlFlash to upgrade the firmware revision. Don't forget the change in M file size to 395 for r6.002, as kindly provided by Ken. Also, once downloaded, power cycle the processor and toggle it between Run and Program Mode a couple of times.

For anyone using a Series B 1747-SDN and attempting to configure DeviceNet pass through, I would strongly advise first flash upgrading the scanner module to r6.002.

I'll bet though, that even had you flash upgraded the scanner module, you still would have had the same downloading issues. Did you try downloading the modified program via the serial port?, rather than via the "network" (controller DH+ port I assume?).

Regards,
George

RA advised not to upgrade unless I had all the data for the drives which I didn't. They did recommend to download the modified program via serial port, which I haven't. Will try that and update.

Thanks George

Cherokee 96 said:
...Got in touch with RA, found out that firmware 4.015 has issues...

Geospark said:
...If there is "some" anomaly with using a 1747-SDN at firmware revision 4.015 for DeviceNet pass through...

I found this and thought I'd add it here...

49940 - Safety Alert - 1747-SDN Series A or B with firmware 4.001 and 4.015 - Outputs may turn on unexpectedly (200011004)
Access Level: Everyone

However, the firmware anomaly mentioned there is related to a mix up in I/O data within the scanner. This could result in erroneous and potentially dangerous data at the controller. I don't think that firmware anomaly would have prevented you downloading a program to the SLC 5/04 via DH+, that had only the M Files edited. Something else is going on there. But, with a potential mix up in I/O data, and only "if" this anomaly is currently present, then this could create issues if or when you get to the point of attempting DeviceNet pass through proper. Either way, it would be best advice again to flash upgrade the scanner module's firmware. On that topic...

Cherokee 96 said:
RA advised not to upgrade unless I had all the data for the drives which I didn't...

If you have not already - Now that you have a 1784-U2DN interface adapter you should be able to go online and save a copy of the scanner configuration in RSNetWorx for DeviceNet (DNT file). Once you have this you should be able to flash upgrade the scanner module's firmware and then download the scanner configuration from the offline backup DNT file.

Cherokee 96 said:
...They did recommend to download the modified program via serial port, which I haven't. Will try that and update...

My, and Rockwell's, suggestion to try the download via the serial port has also now made me consider more what exactly you are attempting here. I just want to be sure that everything will play nicely here. Remember though, now that you have the 1784-U2DN adapter, you probably don't really need a DeviceNet pass through setup. So if all this is not of interest to you then just say the word and I'll leave it there. Also, I'm usually conscious of other readers who this may help now or in the future.

If you do get DeviceNet pass through "ready to go" i.e. the M Files edited and the change downloaded into the SLC, then which port on the SLC were you considering using for DeviceNet pass through?

Either way, the following is a quick cross reference on which SLC ports support pass through to each other, in general (not just DeviceNet), and which minimum processor OS FRN is required to do so...

993071 - SLC Processor OS Firmware Passthru Capability
Access Level: Everyone

Example 1 for the SLC 5/04 - If processor = OS400 A FRN 1

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 0 serial port, using either DF1 Full Duplex or DH-485 to a 1747-SDN, you would require OS400 A FRN 1 minimum - OK.

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 0 serial port, using DF1 Half Duplex to a 1747-SDN, you would require OS400 A FRN 5 minimum - NOT OK.

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 1 DH+ port, you would require OS400 A FRN 1 minimum - OK.

Example 2 for the SLC 5/04 - If processor = OS401 A FRN 5

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 0 serial port, using either DF1 Full Duplex or DH-485 to a 1747-SDN, you would require OS401 A FRN 5 minimum - OK.

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 0 serial port, using DF1 Half Duplex to a 1747-SDN, you would require OS401 A FRN 5 minimum - OK.

To use "DeviceNet" pass through from the Channel 1 DH+ port, you would require OS400 A FRN 1 minimum - OK.

The latest firmware available for the 1747-L542 = OS401 C FRN 11 (2008). It's worth you double-checking the SLC OS FRN just in case but most likely it is high enough?

This is just to point out another easily overlooked but necessary criteria to achieving such pass through communications and that there is more to it than just scanner firmware and M Files. There are also software limitations like minimum version of RSLinx Classic and also certain possible issues with the pass through driver itself. Also, which Windows OS the pass through is being attempted under, and so on.

But, one hurdle or brick wall at a time!

G.

Last edited: