A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

AdvancedHMI talking to RSEmulate 500?

I'm wanting to use this software to test out display logic I have worked on at home for RSLogix 500. I've been running the ladder programs on RSEmulate over the emulator driver on RSLinx Classic Lite v2.57

Has anyone ever gotten the HMI to work with a similar setup?

I'm wanting to use this software to test out display logic I have worked on at home for RSLogix 500. I've been running the ladder programs on RSEmulate over the emulator driver on RSLinx Classic Lite v2.57

Has anyone ever gotten the HMI to work with a similar setup?
I personally never used it with the emulator, but a couple users have successfuly had it working. Attached is a document that a user put together showing how he used AdvancedHMI with RSEmulate.

I personally never used it with the emulator, but a couple users have successfuly had it working. Attached is a document that a user put together showing how he used AdvancedHMI with RSEmulate.

Hi Archie,
Thanks for the link!

I'm having trouble with the "Channel 0 Data Highway Settings". Where is he setting that? I tried the channel config of my RSLogix project, but you can't assign a com port to channel 0 there. I did try changing the baud rate to 9600 and the driver from DF1 Full Duplex to DH485.

When I run the AdvancedHMI project, I get an error saying "INVALID VALUE RETURNED. Failed to open COM4" on all the objects. I noticed that he had the DF1Comm object set to COM4 in his PDF, but COM2 on his channel 0 settings, so I tried setting the DF1Comm object to COM2, and then got this error: "INVALID VALUE RETURNED! No response, check COM settings"

On my PC, I have a physical serial port on COM2, and a virtual port on COM4.

I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dustin

Just wanted to say it is working like a well-oiled charm now! Thanks again, Archie for the top-notch software and the help getting it working.

Open-source software and forums like this one make it possible for guys like me to teach ourselves how to program PLC and SCADA while still holding down a full-time job and keeping the kids fed and the mortgage paid.

Keep up the good work!
(y)

Dustin

Hi Archie and to all PLC Masters, Hi Im vijayakanth. Im a programmer. I am new in PLC or Automation. I just dont know where to start. I want to know where to start.

Hi vijayakanth... first of all, what do you want to do??? for where do you want to start doing what???

then everything is relatively easy... 📚📚📚

Hi archie!

i finally have time to test advancedHMI with Wago 750-842 plc but i can't seem to get it to work... i used the modbus tcp for connection but i am a bit confused on what address i am going to use. Is it similar to the beckhoff tutorial where the addressing is "Main.Variable" (so for wago its PLC_PRG.Variable?) or should i use IEC addressing like %mw0 or MW0 or is it the modbus address equivalent 12288(based on wago manual). also, which port do i use? because it is 502 by default but my driver setting is port 2455...i tried both but still same result... and finally, do i still need to use function blocks from the library in order to communicate with advanced HMI?

fyi:
I frequently get an invalid address error during runtime when i use modbus tcp.

i also tried the twincat driver but i get a "DLL layer not yet created" indication on my basic indicator

thanks in advance for any help =)

i used the modbus tcp for connection but i am a bit confused on what address i am going to use. Is it similar to the beckhoff tutorial where the addressing is "Main.Variable" (so for wago its PLC_PRG.Variable?) or should i use IEC addressing like %mw0 or MW0 or is it the modbus address equivalent 12288(based on wago manual).
The ModbusTCP driver uses standard Modbus drivers, e.g. 300001. I'm not sure how that correlates to the addresses in the PLC. I did find a mention of it on this forum : http://www.control.com/thread/1026231919
which port do i use? because it is 502 by default but my driver setting is port 2455...i tried both but still same result...
I would assume it is the standard port 502, but never working with the Wago, I'm not sure if they use a different port for Modbus/TCP
do i still need to use function blocks from the library in order to communicate with advanced HMI?
If the Wago controller works like a typical Modbus slave, then you will not have to do anything in the PLC program.

When we have done Modbus to CoDeSys based PLC devices we have always had to use function blocks in the PLC to support the communications.

The HMI is the Client and so we implement the Modbus Server through function blocks within the PLC. Generally there is an array of words for the general holding registers (40000, 40001, 40002, etc. addresses ) and an array of BOOL for the modbus coil data (00000, 00001, 00002 etc. addresses).

When we have done Modbus to CoDeSys based PLC devices we have always had to use function blocks in the PLC to support the communications.

The HMI is the Client and so we implement the Modbus Server through function blocks within the PLC. Generally there is an array of words for the general holding registers (40000, 40001, 40002, etc. addresses ) and an array of BOOL for the modbus coil data (00000, 00001, 00002 etc. addresses).

thanks for the info archie and norm =)

just want to clarify the holding register addresses... because its different from the 842 manual where it says that the modbus equivalent address for %MW0 is 12288 (fc17, not really sure coz i dont have the manual with me...) anyway, can you point me to a manual where i can find those register addresses?

i have to try the testing again tomorrow with these new addresses.. greatly appreciate all the help! now back to reading modbus! 📚

Looks like the Wago implements the modbus natively. I don't think you will need a function block...This makes sense as it is from a family of I/O blocks which would have to implement a bus of some sort to have any worth in the world.

Found the attached list of addresses online. The 12289 starting address is only one off from your guess. Good memory.

I have found several issues that crop up with modbus communications that you should be looking out for.

• Some systems start numbering at 0 and some at 1. So address 40 on one side could be 41 on the other. When doing an initial test, I always read/write 3 consecutive addresses with known data and then I will know what value each side is starting at.
  • Some systems want you to use the official Modbus prefixes like 4 for general holding register, 0 for general purpose bit. Others just assume these so in one system the address 412289 may appear as 12289 on the other side.
  • Some systems swap the low and high bytes of words and low and high words in double words. Then you end up with what looks like garbage. Hopefully if a system does this is gives you the tools to select which way the swapping goes.
I'm sure there are a lot of other tips and tricks to Modbus but these are the main ones I have run into.

mb_addr.PNG

thanks for the tips norm!

but i still can't seem to get this to work... either i just get a zero value or an "invalid address" error...
i also tested this using the ethernet_modbusmaster_udp function block but still nothing =(

i'll post the error log i get during runtime as well as screenshot of the hmi... maybe someone has encountered this already...

AdvancedHMI.JPG

Attachments

• AdvancedHMI log.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I just googled around until I found information but I think it was on the Wago USA site.

For sure you do not need / want to implement a Modbus Master in the PLC. The Terms Master and Slave are unfortunate here. In that terminology, the HMI is the Master and the PLC is the Slave. Better terms are Client and Server. The HMI initiates requests to the PLC for information (client) and the PLC serves up the data to the HMI (server). In any case, this has confused more than a few people over the years. They "want" their PLC to be the master because it seems to control everything on the machine.

I would try addresses without the leading 4. Also, I just remembered there are two standards for modbus addressing of holding registers. The older address range is 0-40000 and the newer range is 0-400000. That could be the problem.