Moxa EIP 3270 to SLC Ethernet IP to serial Gateway

SCUBA NooB

I'm trying to get comms to a SLC CPU 504 using a moxa gateway EIP 3270. I can use their Procom software which sets up a virtual comm port so RSLinx can see the device using the DF1 driver. What I need to do is see the CPU over EIP so it can be accessed via a SCADA system which is Ethernet only. Can anyone help me understand why Ethernet/IP in RSLinx only see's the Moxa gateway as an unrecogonised device? (y) P.S. I can use RSLinx as an OPC but this is expensive when I have purchased what I thought was a serial to Ethernet gateway.

Last edited:
I saw this posted over at the Inductive Automation forum. I haven't used this particular gateway, but expect that if you select the correct driver in their OPC UA setup, it should work. Briefly reviewing the specs, it supports PCCC over EIP, so did you try the Micrologix 1100/1400 driver in the IA setup? I think there is a SLC driver too - try this one if the ML1100/1400 doesn't work.

I wouldn't expect RSLinx to see it as an ethernet device. I would bet that it makes some type of ID request - and the Gateway returns either nothing at all, or something RSLinx isn't aware of or chooses to ignore. It should work, though, with the virtual serial port because it looks like a serial device to RSLinx - RSLinx is unaware of the tunneling through Ethernet (which is the whole point of serial port tunneling).

Perhaps with an EDS file provided by Moxa RSLinx could correctly identify it - but that doesn't seem like a useful exercise. You want to get rid of RSLinx, not enhance it.

Yuor correct in this is for Ignition. I tried the SLC driver and it fails to connect to the device, to me this should be the same as a 505. I will try the micrologix driver. The moxa software does mention something about ID's being available but this is new stuff for me so perhaps I'm missing something the very brief instructions are telling me. Robertjjonesjr,or anyone else, do you know of any hardware that wouold achieve what I am trying to do? (I have factories full of 504 CPU's some of which have Panelview 1400e's on the DH+ which can take no more DH+ networking) Thanks for the reply robertkjonesjr

This should work. There are many other devices that do this -
1. 1761 NET-ENI by AB
2. Digi OneIAP
3. Redlion G3 series
4. Many others....

Is the routing table setup properly in the Moxa device? Can you sniff the traffic? With unknowns like this, I suggest to sniff both the serial and ethernet traffic. I would look for the EIP/CIP request from IA on the ethernet wire, then I would expect to see some type of serial traffic generated from this request to the PLC. This will help determine where the cause of the issue is. You might even be able to observer a fault code or something in the traffic, which is even more helpful.

Only comment - I hope your expectations aren't too high for data throughput. After all, the limiting factor is serial, so don't expect ethernet bandwidth and latency from this design. That being said, I have used the NET ENIs to hook SLC503s to IA (previous version, through Kepware) with no trouble as long as I keep the amount of data traffic reasonable.

Last edited:
OK, like I said i'm a beginner at this comms business BUT after reading digi's instruction manual it was as simple as this: in RSLinx you have to use the Ethernet driver not Ethernet/IP !!! RSLinx then see's the CPU. Just a matter of being able to browse this into Ignition now and get two way comms like any normal Ethernet PLC.

I think the SLC 5/04 has two front panel communication ports.

The circular mini-din is DH+.

The 9-pin d-sub can be user configured. I assume that you are attemting to gain Ethernet access to to the 5/04 via the 9-pin d-sub comm port. By default, it may be set to some low baud rate. You may need to connect to the 5/04 via DH+ and reconfugure the D-sub channel to 19,200 DF1. I think you need a null modem between the MOXA and the SLC 5/04.

The MOXA behaves like a 1761-NET ENI. Once set up properely, try to go on-line with RSLogix 500 ladder programmin software. If that works, then the MOXA should allow your scada system to work.

**Note, I did need a 1.1 firmware upgrade from MOXA to allow a 2711-panelview classic to talk to the 5/04. The firmware upgrade was easy to do with the MOXA M-Gate Manager software.

FYI - RSlogix500 goes online OK using the Ethernet driver but, for anyone using Igntion, I cannot browse this in - set as micrologix it connects and tries to browse but comes back empty (no data files browsed in).

1. Get "WireShark Software". Packet Sniffer
2. Use an unmanaged HUB (not a switch)
3. Use your computer and WireShark to capture successful communication with RSLogix 500.
4. Use your computer and WireShark to capture unsuccessful SCADA communication.
5. Send both captures to MOXA for analysis

I see this is pretty old but I could really use your help. I’m trying to setup Moxa MGate EIP-3170 between a PLC5 and a Panelview Plus 600. Could you share the settings in the Moxa, and the communication settings in FactoryTalk View. I’ve been at it for well over a day. I’m sure that I’m missing something simple and stupid.