Motorola MOSCAD RTU expansion

HamzaSA

Hello guys,

I'm working on a water reservoir job and the client wants to extend the existing PLC configuration so he can monitor additional analog values (flow, level) and recieve/provide additional DI/DO.

But, the space is extremely limited. (pic attached)

Is there a way to connect the configuration shown on the attached picture with 3 additional modules (DI, DO, AI) that would be located in a separate cubicle?

Thanks,

Tarik

moscad_rtu_config.jpg

Your biggest problem is Motorola don't make that product anymore. It was phased out over 10 years ago. Feasibly you could connect one of the comm ports to another Motorola PLC and write code to make the two talk to each other and share IO. Or look on eBay for 5 or 7 slot rack and add all the IO you want.

MOSCAD was popular in the water biz for some reason. The municipality I worked for had just finished ripping out all the MOSCAD hardware and replacing it with GE stuff about a year before I started.. The well sites and transfer stations were similar enough that they designed a 2 standard panels that worked at all sites. They ran a conduit with bundle of wires over to the old MOSCAD panels. The MOSCAD racks got replaced by terminal blocks where the old I/O patched into the new PLC panels. IIRC, all the sites got one panel, and there was a second remote I/O panel for the transfer stations as they usually had 3-5 pumps to control.