Timing S5

arthur.hauer

Hi all!

I got a newby question for you: I need to time multiple events individually in Siemens S5-95U. To do that, a timer generates a pulse every second. That timer is placed in a function block called by OB 1. Is this good practice? Should I use multiple timers for each event?

Thanks in advance,
Arthur

Post Scriptum: Timing doesn't need to be very precise, the maximum time count is around 10 hours.

After experimenting, the conclusion is: using a single timer to generate a pulse train and using this pulse train to time events isn't very accurate. If you don't need very high resolution and is willing to have 10s/min error, it's a solution that saves timers.
Another solution I tried was using OB13(periodic call) to generate those pulses. Again, there was error, but this time much smaller (0.00833s/min).
Undoubtedly, using an individual timer for each event is the more precise solution.

I am not familiar with S5. They are very old.
Many older types have issues with the restart of the program cycle.
Normally use a pulsed time signal. Then an add block
Add one to a register every second. Then compare that number.
Shouldn’t have errors then

There is a built in word with bits that flip every 10s 1s 0.1s etc that you can use for that purpose. It should be extremely accurate.

I don't think S5s have that clock byte like S7s do...
Well, I know S5-95U doesn't!
Even so, I used this approach in a S7-300 and got great results!

If you get desperate you can accumulate the scan times until you add up to your preset then start accumulating with the remainder after subtracting your interval. There will be some jitter but the average interval should not drift.

If you wanted something more accurate then you could connect a more precise time signal to an interrupt enabled digital input and count those pulses.

Nick

I hope you have spare parts for this old S5 system. I have a couple of cpu' s and many input and output cards and software. I am replacing these systems as there old and obsolete. But there very reliable and they are still in use around the world.