"WET" Contact / "DRY" Contact

Gul-durned typing

In m' last post I had a typogrhpicl tipgrafical typgrphicull

I screwed up.

"In both of Terry's left hand examples the status change is controlled by Machine "A". In both of his left hand examples the status change is controlled by Machine "B". "

Should ought to o' been "In both of Terry's left hand examples the status change is controlled by Machine "A". In both of his RIGHT hand examples the status change is controlled by Machine "B".

Darn!

And the term "wet contact" is used so rarely as to hardly count - I've mostly heard it from rookies, and then only in juxtapostion to the commonly used dry contact terminology.

I agree with that... If there is disagreement on this forum and the people here have not used or heard the terminology, what is the point? Lose it.

The reason I got here was a search of the term "wet contacts" on google because somebody ( I suspect a rookie wanting to be cool ) brought it up on another electrical forum
So far as providing a voltage source, I don't even see how that is possible using nothing but switch contacts.

The only time I would think it was appropriate to use the term wet(ted) contacts would be with mercury wetted contacts for switch bounce or arcing contacts.

The world is hard and complicated enough.... I think everyone would be better off losing the jargon, and just saying what you mean... show them a drawing of what you're going to provide.

After posting I saw how old this thread was.... welcome back to 2003.

Last edited:
I've always tried to avoid the wet dry terminology. I usually say "contact closure" when referencing dry contacts.

Shawn

Since I first threw my knife switch to light my lightbulb in Basic Electricity and Electronics in Great Lakes Illinois in 1984 until now .... never heard wet used.