Buiding a PLC Trainer Using Allen Bradley

G
Good Day,

I’m in the process of designing a PLC Trainer for an Allen Bradley PLC (1747-L40B).I would like to incorporate as much as I can without spending huge money. I will have a total of 32 inputs and 40 outputs with the two slot expansion used. Ideally I would like to use a panelview but do to cost I think its out of the question. I want to use a 2-digit or more display, and either a thumbwheel or a keypad. I want to be able to input a number and also be able to read a number on the display. With cost in mind does anyone have any suggestions?

When I was in school we used a PLC 5, and our trainer had a thumbwheel input and a digital display where you could display the values in a timer or counter, as well as input values.
If anyone has any suggestions for my trainer design, or a idea for a display and keypad (input) I would greatly appreciate it. As cheap but affective as possible, I will use this trainer often and will use it for any future PLC’s that I buy. I plan on leaving a space for future incorporation of a panelview.

One other thing, can I connect a Micrologix 1000 and SLC 500 1747-L40B series B together, like a network?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!!!
John

P.S. I spend hours looking though this site, making notes, and trying some of the ideas I find. You learn a lot by just looking around, and when you need help this is the place to be. I may not have many answers to most the questions, but I’m certainly learning a lot. So thanks for making this a great site.

Greetings, Guest John (who, incidentally, needs to register),

first of all ... what modules (specific catalog numbers, please) do you have in your expansion slots? ...

the “on-board” I/O for your model processor only uses 120VAC for input and output signals ... you’re not likely to find any thumbwheel switches and digital display units that work at that voltage level ... hopefully you have some DC inputs and outputs available from your expansion modules ...

as for your question:
... can I connect a Micrologix 1000 and SLC 500 1747-L40B series B together, like a network?

yes, but you’ll need more hardware and some cables ...

you can start your research for that topic here:
1761-NET-AIC – AIC+ Advanced Interface Converter User Manual

now for some friendly advice ... why are you trying to concentrate on things like thumbwheel switches and digital displays? ... don’t get me wrong – ALL knowledge is good ... BUT ... if I were you, I’d spend most of my time learning to work with programs which would have more of an “industrial” flavor ... yes, there ARE some applications which DO make use of thumbwheel switches and digital displays ... BUT ... if I were conducting a job interview for a prospective “PLC technician”, I’d personally be a lot more interested in the skills necessary to analyze and troubleshoot the types of programs used in my plant ... programs related to conveyors, or presses, or stackers, etc. ... analog signals would be a nice addition down the road ... once again, there ARE some programs out there that make use of thumbwheel switches and digital displays ... but they’re not likely to be the “bread-and-butter” programs that are going to help you land or keep a job ...

in my own opinion, you could make better use of your limited “trainer” budget money by investing in a sock full of pushbuttons and toggle switches and some lamp sockets ... wiring these up as inputs and outputs will be both entertaining and instructive ... here’s an idea that you might find interesting ...

previous post about inexpensive PLC trainers

anyway ... keep us posted on your progress ... good luck ... and welcome aboard ...

Hello and welcome to the forum,
Please register, we're not big brother here! Just to let you know I disagree with some of what Ron said,, however his over all idea was true. Your thought of training on basic functions of logic and data manipulation is great, and he is right about training people for todays competitive JOB market as well.
The other thing is I wanted you to know is, you're right, you've come to the right place for information.

bitmore

ps. they do still make switches and display units for inexpensive applications and some aren't bad, check through the most popular "books of geeks" like Newark you'll find a wealth of sources and perhaps new ideas and that's what I disagree with Ron on!

Last edited:
Sorry guy's

RE: Allen Bradley PLC Trainer Post #1

Hi,

I'm not sure why my last post didn't display that I'm registered, but anyway I guess I would have recieved more replies.

What additions should I make to my trainer that make it more practicle for an industry setting? I currently don't have any cards for the expanion unit of my 1747-L40B. I was, however thinking of get a 120v input and output card.

if anyone missed my pervious post it's the one with no name.

Thanks John

I'll get the hang of it.

I have to disagree with Ron about thumbwheels and digital displays being totally obsolete. For training purposes and even for small industrial applications, BCD inputs and outputs are an excellent way to get data into and out of a plc. In training, the point is to show the student that our world really can interact with the semi-conductor world. As for suggestions for the trainer, I would recommend lots of I/O's. Not just lights and switches, but any inputs and outputs you can scavenge. Lights are fun, but if things move it only reinforces the knowledge. Also, have some kind of analog I/O and at least one type of HMI. But I personally have seen the most success out off simulation software.

Most of you have probably seen this but anyway....

One simulator I saw had a combi analog card (2in/2out). The analog in was tied to a pot, the anlog out two a wee little dc drive. Connected to the drive was a motor and a fan driving a ping pong ball up a glass tube. Turned the knob up, ball went up. You get the idea.

I thought it was a great idea for showing how analog is turned into digital in the PLC and back to analog, was great for showing how to scale etc... You can get a little DC drive for less than $100.00

Want to get even fancier? Put a set of analog light screens looking at the ping pong ball and practice PID. :D

Most of you have probably seen this but anyway....

One simulator I saw had a combi analog card (2in/2out). The analog in was tied to a pot, the anlog out two a wee little dc drive. Connected to the drive was a motor and a fan driving a ping pong ball up a glass tube. Turned the knob up, ball went up. You get the idea.

I thought it was a great idea for showing how analog is turned into digital in the PLC and back to analog, was great for showing how to scale etc... You can get a little DC drive for less than $100.00

Want to get even fancier? Put a set of analog light screens looking at the ping pong ball and practice PID. :D