New Powerflex 523

califflash

I noticed some rev changes in the Powerflex 525 manual when I downloaded at home this weekend. It appears AB is going to come out with a stripped down version of the 525, the Powerflex 523.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YcFCfxJdMVcMLCQ&bvm=bv.52164340,d.b2I&cad=rja

I am very happy with the feature set of the 525 but it might be of interest to some of you. This may be the beginning of the end for the Powerflex 4 series.

Our A-B rep mentioned the 523 a while back. Said it will be A-B's new low cost basic drive offering. Didn't mention anything about the 4 series, but a good guess is it's on the way out. I like the 525.

My pricing places the 525 firmly in between the 4 and the 40 from a cost perspective. It is significantly cheaper once you start adding ethernet to drives though. I would expect this new drive to be at the 4 price point or below.

I imagine they could do a lot of stripping. The 525 is pretty feature rich for a micro-drive. It has 2 opto-outs, 2 relay outs, analog in/out, 6 digital ins, steplogic, datalinks, ethernet ip, dh485, closed or openloop vector in addition to v/hz, and simple positioning.

Last edited:
How much stripping can they do? How's the pricing of the 525 compared to a PF4 or 40?

From what Evan Kaiser said when he was here in Brazil, the 523 will not have internet, will not have safe-torque off and will have other features stripped out. It should come in cheaper than the PowerFlex 4, but I imagine that it will be more or less the same price.

I have to say that it will take a lot for me to move from the schneider altivar 312 and 12. The drives are so cheap but they work so so well in our applications. We cannot get the same results from a PowerFlex 40 and the Altivar is like 1/2 the price of the 40. Lets see if they have improved the 523 functionality compared to the 4!

Powerflex 523's are on the street.

A-B rep said the PF 4M-4-40-40P and 400 will soon be history.

Also said a new PF 527 is coming out soon.