AB PowerFlex Drives. Logix5K V20.xx Support?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
From what I can tell, AB's Connected Component Workbench (CCW) does not support CompactLogix L43 with RsLogix v20.xx Software.

What are my options to program and use these drives with CompactLogix L43 CPU's and RSLogix 5K v20.xx?

I need to communicate with these drives via Ethernet/IP.

Thanks.

Which Poweflex drives do you want to use?
The component and architecture class can be programmed with CCW. You can also program them from within RsLogix5000, including the Powerflex40 with a 22-COM-E adapter.

seth350 said:
Which Poweflex drives do you want to use?
The component and architecture class can be programmed with CCW. You can also program them from within RsLogix5000, including the Powerflex40 with a 22-COM-E adapter.

Just to further qualify that statement, if I may?...

To successfully add to the I/O Configuration and communicate and configure PowerFlex drives via RSLogix 5000, ensure that you have the latest Drive AOPs (Add-On Profiles) installed on your workstation. Also, make sure that you have the latest Drives Database Files installed. These update the available firmware revisions listed under the Drive AOPs in RSLogix 5000. The Drives Database Files which you may require are broken down into two categories - CCW Database Files and DriveTools SP Database Files.

For information on where/how you can update all of the above, see here...

77067 - RSLogix 5000: Cannot Select the Correct Firmware Revision, Correlate, or Add New Drive
Access Level: Everyone

Other than using a 1768-L43 controller with a PowerFlex drive, and CCW's ability to configure drives, is there any other reason you are looking to use CCW, like a particular HMI for the project that you'd like to communicate with the controller? If not, then you should not need to use CCW at all here.

As seth350 has requested, please do let us know the model of PowerFlex drive you wish to use here, in case there may be any "gotchas".

Regards,
George

seth350, Geospark,

Thank you both for your help. Very much appreciated. The two VFD's that I am needing to program are AB's PowerFlex 525 series VFD's. Both have embedded Ethernet/IP if I am not mistaken from the documentation that I have read to date. One of the motors that will be controlled is a little less that 0.5HP and the other is around 3HP. These are both frame size "A" VFD's which will be installed in the same cabinet with AB recommended spacing. Motor speeds will be controlled via a 4-20mA signal from the PLC for both motors. What I am wanting is the ability to initially program these VFD's using some sort of a software package as opposed to having to manually enter Parameters at each VFD using their respective key pads. Thereafter, (once the initial programming has been completed), I would like to get status updates, Alarms etc. in to the PLC via the Ethernet/IP interface. PLC in turn will display the info on a PV+ HMI, but the HMI will never directly communicate with the VFD and it needs to stay that way.

Once the VFD's are programmed, The operation of the motors will be as follows;

The PLC will command the motors to ramp up to speed X. Then about after an hour or so at speed X, it will then command the VFD to ramp the motor up to speed X2 for 1 to 2 hours. Thereafter, it will command the motors to ramp down to 0 rpm. (i.e an off state). This Off state can be two minutes, two hours, two days or two weeks. Then Rinse and repeat as necessary when a new process cycle is needed to be started.

Hopefully this explanation was clear enough. My ultimate goal is to have a software package for programming these VFD's beforehand. Then during operation...use an analog output signal from the PLC to the Poweflex to control motor speeds and receive status updates from the VFD's in to the PLC via the Ethernet/IP Interface.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
skyfox said:
...The two VFD's that I am needing to program are AB's PowerFlex 525 series VFD's...

RSLogix 5000 v20 does not install with a new enough version Drives AOP package which supports the PowerFlex 520 series drives. So at present you cannot, most likely, select the PowerFlex 525 as an option under the I/O Configuration. Installing the latest Drives AOP package, as mentioned previously, will add support for the PowerFlex 523 and 525 drives (Note: the PowerFlex 527 drives are not supported until Studio 5000 Logix Designer v24).

skyfox said:
...Both have embedded Ethernet/IP if I am not mistaken from the documentation that I have read to date....

Yes. The PowerFlex 525 have an Embedded EtherNet/IP module or you can optionally add a dual EtherNet/IP 25-COMM-E2P module. For the Embedded EtherNet/IP module, and with your Drives AOP updated, you should now be able to select a "PowerFlex 525-EENET" drive under your Ethernet adapter in RSLogix 5000 in the I/O Configuration.

skyfox said:
...Motor speeds will be controlled via a 4-20mA signal from the PLC for both motors...

These drives facilitate wiring an Analog Input for speed referencing. Most everything you need to get you started on that is provided in this technote...

576667 - PowerFlex 520 Series Drive: Analog Input Reference 4-20 mA or 0-10V Setup
Access Level: Everyone

(More on the 4-20mA control later...)

skyfox said:
...What I am wanting is the ability to initially program these VFD's using some sort of a software package as opposed to having to manually enter Parameters at each VFD using their respective key pads...

RSLogix 5000 software, and in particular the Module Properties/Drive tab for both drives, will facilitate you in setting up and modifying the full parameter set for these drives.

skyfox said:
...I would like to get status updates, Alarms etc. in to the PLC via the Ethernet/IP interface...

This may be achieved by using the embedded and configurable Datalinks option provided with these drives. Datalinks provide a predefined list of I/O option for users to interact with the drive. The list of Datalinks available is extensive but you may only configure four additional Input and four additional Output Datalinks on top of the default Datalinks -

2 Input (DriveStatus/OutputFreq)
2 Output (LogicCommand/FreqCommand)

The default Input Datalink "DriveStatus" may contain the basic status information you require. If you want to know what alarms are or have been active you can look at Datalinks 7/8/9 - Fault 1/2/3 Code, etc.

skyfox said:
...PLC in turn will display the info on a PV+ HMI, but the HMI will never directly communicate with the VFD and it needs to stay that way...

It would not be normal practice to want or have a PanelView HMI terminal trying to communicate directly with a drive, and it should definitely not be necessary here. The HMI normally interacts indirectly with the drive data via the controller. Once the drive I/O data, via the Datalinks, is being stored in the controller, this data should then available for the HMI to access.

skyfox said:
...The PLC will command the motors to ramp up to speed X. Then about after an hour or so at speed X, it will then command the VFD to ramp the motor up to speed X2 for 1 to 2 hours. Thereafter, it will command the motors to ramp down to 0 rpm. (i.e an off state). This Off state can be two minutes, two hours, two days or two weeks. Then Rinse and repeat as necessary when a new process cycle is needed to be started...

I'm not going to delve into how you will program the above control philosophy, suffice to say, the controller should be well capable of achieving this. If you do have any questions on how you would go about programming it then of course throw them up and someone will advise you, I'm sure.

skyfox said:
...My ultimate goal is to have a software package for programming these VFD's beforehand. Then during operation...use an analog output signal from the PLC to the Poweflex to control motor speeds and receive status updates from the VFD's in to the PLC via the Ethernet/IP Interface...

You probably know which speed referencing method suits this application best. However, I just want to point out to you, in case you are not aware, that you may also command the drive speed reference over the network via the EtherNet/IP link and using the default Output Datalink "FreqCommand". In this case, you would not need to use the 4-20mA controller output.

That is just in case you are "only" using the 4-20mA option as you believe this to be the normal way to do this. If you have a valid reason for using 4-20mA then that is fine too.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Geospark,

Thank you so much for taking your time to explain what is needed to get this accomplished. Very much appreciated and as always, I am grateful for yours and everyone else's help here. You bring up a good point about using the Ethernet link to send the speed reference to the VFD instead of using a 4-20mA out signal. This simplifies things as far as wiring and cutting down on additional I/O. However, I have been reluctant in the past to use Ethernet for this type of control. Simply because, I worry about loss of control due to someone accidentally unplugging an Ethernet cable without thinking twice. That is as opposed to someone actually having to use a screwdriver to dislodge the 4-20mA signal cable from its landing spot either at the VFD panel, or at the PLC panel itself. Then again, there may be other built in safe guards that I am not yet aware of with these modern Ethernet based VFD's. The last and quiet frankly, the only time that I had to deal with a VFD, was over 11 years ago. That was to simply control a mixer to blend chicken fat with Methanol to create biodiesel. That was in a "NO BUDGET" plant designed by suicidal PHD's lacking common sense. They were a proud bunch. Unfortunately, after two years of mixing, no usable biodiesel was ever created. But, on a brighter note, everyone of us got out of their alive. But sadly, none of us crave chicken any longer.

Cheers and thanks again.

Best Regards.

Skyfox

Last edited: