Automation Direct Ethernet PLC

RefineryGuy

Ok, this is the first time that I've posted a topic here and I'm pretty new to PLC's. I programmed my first DL205 with a 260 processor and a new C-More panel. It turned out fine. Now management wants me to hook up 2 more PLC's to the same C-More panel. I spoke with AD Tech Support and received all of the information that I need as far as what parts I need. What I'm looking at doing is hooking all 3 PLC's up via ethernet communication along with the C-More panel (which is currently not hooked up via the ethernet port). I've never done this before as my experience is primarily in DCS, Process Control Instrumentation and Electrical.

Here comes the question. Has anyone else hooked up an AD PLC via ethernet? If so, is there anything that I need to look for as far as problems encountered? Should I just give up now and pull out what hair I have left?

I appreciate in advance any kind of direction that anyone can give me.

Thanks

Using Ethernet, get a decent switch. One that protects the network from broadcast storms. Layer 3 managed switch if you can afford it.

We've hooked up multiple PLCs though with an EZTouch, not a CMore. The setup was fairly painless.

Netedit makes assigning the IP addresses easy.

Make sure your PC has only the wired Ethenet port active. Disable all others you may have including wireless. Set your PC's port to use a fixed IP address in the same grouping of IP addresses you will use for the PLCs and the CMore display.

After assigning IPs to the PLC Ethernet cards with Netedit use the button to test for the CPU as a check on communication between the Ethernet card and its CPU.

I just finished setting one up (not three) and it wasn't bad. Follow Bernie's instructions, and practice some patience so you won't lose anymore hair.:)

I haven't studied into this yet, but I was also wondering how the addresses are assigned in the touchscreen to multiple screens. For example, currently I have a switch that is assigned to X0. Now when I hook up multiple PLC's they will also have the same X0 assigned to an input. How are they addressed to each PLC? I'm guessing that when I create the tags for each input will they be assigned to DEV01, DEV02... and so on?

Thanks for everyone's input. I hope that I can get through this.

You are correct, each PLC will have its own reference (DEV01, DEV02, etc) and you can call them whatever you want when you create the C-More <-> PLC link for each PLC (ie, PLC1, PLC2, PLC3, etc).
Ethernet is pretty painless, but a good network switch is a must... a bad network switch can cause all sorts of problems that are hard to track down because things will sometimes work and sometimes not work.

marksji said:
Ethernet is pretty painless, but a good network switch is a must... a bad network switch can cause all sorts of problems that are hard to track down because things will sometimes work and sometimes not work.

I'm getting the E-SW05U From AD. I didn't want to mess around with cheaper ones. They recommended this switch, so that's what I'm going to use.

The switch from AD is a VERY good switch (I've used lots of them) and while it is expensive it won't let you down. I just wish they could just sell it for about 1/4 of its current price...

RefineryGuy said:
I wish it was cheaper also, but I don't want to sacrifice dependability for price. I NEED this to work.

I hear ya. I've actually had a couple of customers refuse to buy switches from me because of the cost... In every case they have not been happy with the results of the $20 switch from Best Buy...