RSLinx Lite WIndows XP

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to know if anybody is using RSLinx Lite under WIndows XP

I have installed version 2.42.
When I go online using 1747-PIC / AIC+ Driver, The Ladder Spins real slow, and the laptop losses the connection after a while.
I am connecting from COM1 directly to 1761- Net AIC. >>>>SLC5/02 >>>>PanelView 600
I have to Reboot WIndows in order to get the Port back.
When setting up my drivers I check the Reserve COM Port option.

I also was informed Here that Service pack 2 is not supported.

On my Old Laptop Win98 I didn't have this problem.

I am considering Installing Win98 on my newer Laptop (it's not a New Laptop, but it's in better shape than my old one)
What do you think?

Last edited:
Lots of users run RSLinx 2.42 under Windows XP, some even with SP2.

But nobody enjoys using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Its a port-hog, as you've discovered, because it reserves the port to itself and installs a special serial driver. And, with some nonstandard RS-232 ports (which includes nearly every laptop maker these days) it's just not very reliable. Direct hardware access is just no fun under Windows NT-based operating systems.

I would recommend getting a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 device before I installed Win98 on a perfectly good PC. That device works great under Windows 2000 and XP, with any service pack.

The big relief about the 1747-UIC is that it uses the DF1 Full Duplex driver, with the device type set to "1747-KE/1770-KF3".

DF1 Full Duplex does not require the tight timing that the old 1747-PIC driver did in order to handle transmit/receive control on the half-duplex DH485 network. That is all done onboard the device by a dedicated microcontroller.

The most common problem I have seen with the 1747-UIC is that it can be "enumerated" as a different COM port depending on when you connect it to your PC, and on exactly how your operating system handles it. On my computer, it's sometimes COM5 and somtimes COM7. I put a shortcut on my desktop to the Windows 2000 Hardware Manager in order to always be able to tell what port my UIC has claimed.

Thanks
So I am gonna pick the RS232 DF1 devices...
Add New
Then 1747-KE/1770-KF3....
and Select Auto-Configure

df1.jpg

Unfortunately, the 1747-UIC doesn't support AutoConfig !

That's not such a big deal because it only has one possible set of parameters on the DF1 side.

Device Type: 1747-KE/KF3
Error Checking: CRC
19200 baud 8/N/1 framing

Da reaons for never purchasing less than 5/03.....

I've used my PIC on only 2 jobs about 8 years ago. That was enough.

I currently run SP2 and all is good (but not with the big whyte boxe)

So I got the USB (1747-UIC USB/DH485) in the mail today.
It has a cute DIN rail clip, but I don't want the lapTop that close to the Enclosure.

XP installed the driver all by itself.
I setup the DF1 driver with RSLinx, and I was able to go ONLINE
I haven't tried to download to the PanelView, but I'm sure that it'll be fine.

Thanks again Ken as well as the others who posted.

I had to talk to a panelView micro, so I had to set up a different driver.
When I went to go back to the 1747-KE/1770-KF3 setup I had trouble.
I forgot to change the Error checking to CRC. I'm sure glad that Ken posted that because the Jpeg that I posted above is incorrect.
Thanks again.