Training for Designing Safety Systems

J E

Does anyone have recommendations for training geared towards designing a safety system? I am looking for something that would cover SIL verification calculations, electrical design of safety circuits, and safety PLC programming.

Do most engineers designing these types of systems receive such training or is it best just to obtain and study the standards?

Does anyone have recommendations for training geared towards designing a safety system? I am looking for something that would cover SIL verification calculations, electrical design of safety circuits, and safety PLC programming.

Do most engineers designing these types of systems receive such training or is it best just to obtain and study the standards?

I know places like TUV offer the SIL/PL calculation courses. Your PLC vendor will probably have safety programming courses you can take.

I've never seen a good "electrical design for safety" course. To me, that's where all the tricky bits are, making sure it is wired right.

The likes of Pilz etc here in the UK offer 4-day courses and you can pay extra for an exam at the end for CMSE (certified machinery safety expert).