Hour Meter in Program?

solder jockey

I have to add a hour meter in to a Micrologix 1200 to display the "total run hours" of a compressor on a Panelview 550. The timer would have to be good for reading up to 100,000 accumulative hours.
How can this be done?
thanks

We use the same technique on all our platforms. Use the "ON" bit for the compressor to run a self-resetting 6 second timer. Use the output of the timer to trip a self-resetting counter, which has a pre-set of 60 (the counter will therefore trip every 0.1 hour). Use this counter to trip another counter, which keeps track of run time in 0.1 hour increments. If you need more digits, you can use this 0.1 hour counter with a pre-set of 9999 to reset itself and trip another counter keeping track of thousand hours.

Readout

I had to put a counter on the screen of a panelview, so I put a display for 1,000's right next to a display that went from 0 -999.
It looks fine, but it just seems odd to display it this way. I am glad to see that I am not the only one to use this approach.

good ideas guy...thanks
I thought Tom's method was the way to do it but the PV read seemed halfass'ed. I'll give a shot and see how it looks.

thanks again

p.s. Cool board! I didn't think that there was that many people out there that were into plc programming

I was pleased to discover that the MicroLogix 1200 and the newer firmware PanelViews can use and display the "Long Integer" data type. This is a 32-bit signed number instead of the traditional SLC/MicroLogix 16-bit signed numbers, so it can have a value up to 2,147,483,647 instead of just 32,767.

The timer/counter methods suggested above are excellent ways to get a traditional "hour/tenths" meter, and the PanelView display can be simplified by directly viewing a six-digit integer. You'll define the PanelView tag as a "DINT" data type.

I think you can even define a DINT data type in PanelView and address it to a regular old Integer "N" file... it uses the next Integer element as the high word. You'd have to manually create the 32-bit value in ladder logic, but it would display as one element on the PanelView.