Repair Policy on new equipment

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've had a recent problem, with a supporting vender, on a repair problem with new equipment. I wanted to get others opinion, maybe I'm being over critical.

We are a small integrator, and do a lot of small custom automation. Thus we don't have the time to do a lot of testing before and a lot of the automation is done on site. A piece of new equipment is found to be faulty at the last minute. I call up, to get another one overnight, and I'm informed that I cannot get a working piece of equipment overnighted, and that I must send the faulty equipment in for repair. Thus delaying production days, making my company look bad.

It seems that many companies are happy to make the situation right, and overnight a working unit, while I send back the bad one. However this company has got me a couple of times. Adding loss of production, more of my time, and added cost all around...

The product is good, and well priced for the competition, but I don't know if I can support them with this policy.

-MUR

Here is what you might try:
1. Have them ship you three units
2. Install them and ship back the one or two that dont work (I would hope you could get one of three to work)
3. Bill them one days rate for in field testing
4. All shipping is at their cost
5. you dont have to pay them for 90 days for the one you do accept.

Dan Bentler

If the product is a standard item for the vendor and not a special order, I see no good reason why they would insist on a repair-only warranty policy.
There are plenty of other ways to handle warranty claims. If you do enough business with this vendor, then you have some leverage. Get the salesman who reps the vendor to earn his commission by going to bat for you to get a better policy. If that's they only option they'll consider, I agree with The_PLC_Kid; find a better class of vendor.

If the product is a special order, non-standard in any way, or custom built for you, that's a different story...