AB SLC 500 major fault output?

Jonas Zimmer

Is there a simple way to monitor if there is a major fault on the plc. Looking at my systems there is no output to our scada system for a major plc fault, which is very flawed as if there is a major plc fault nothing works! There are alarms for just about everything else except that!

Having not programmed these much and only doing minor maintenance could someone point me in the direction of how to monitor for a major fault? It would be helpful if there was a NC contact on the plc I could monitor. I would want NC so it would be fail-safe.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
S:1/13 is the Major Fault bit. If the bit is set, you are faulted. Your HMI can monitor that bit.

A fault routine can potentially capture and clear a fault condition.

OG

Fault bit

I have an alarm dialer that monitors Binary files and Integer Files. What would be the best way to monitor the fault but in the status file? Does the plc stop scanning after setting that fault status bit or will it set a binary bit that I can monitor with the alarm dialer? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The simple method I use is an always on output relay wired directly to a dialer input. N/C so it gets an alarm when the plc is not running.