How many Compact Block IO or Flex IO a SLC Scanner support?

ckchew666

Hi,

I'm looking at 1747-SN to communicate with either 1794-ASB (Flex IO) or 1791R-18BO (Compact Block IO), from the Flex IO & Compact Block IO manual, it stated that it has rack configuration from rack 0 - rack 3 if I use 1747-SN (SLC RIO Scanner module), does that mean the maximum I can have 4 Flex IO or 4 Compact Block IO in the RIO network if I use 1747-SN?

I'm referring to Publication 1791R-IN001A-EN-P - February 2002
Thanks.

1791R-18bO is not a valid part number. Do you mean 16B0, as in 16 inputs? These will take up one word in the SN's memory map but you can only address them as close as a quarter rack (module group 0, 2, 4, or 6) so its possible to hook up 16 of these devices to a SN card.

1794-ASB FLEX I/O adapters can occupy a "partial rack" of RIO addressing space or more, depending on the "density" (1/2, 1, or 2-slot) and how many modules are attached.

If you have just two I/O modules attached and use the simplest 1-slot addressing method, you could have 16 adapters connected to one 1747-SN, each using "1/4 Rack" of addressing space.

If you have eight I/O modules attached and use 1-slot addressing, you could have 4 adapters connected to one 1747-SN, with each using 1 Full Rack of addressing space.

Remember also that you can have more than one 1747-SN in an SLC chassis.

I'm sorry, my typo error, it's 16BO. thx for correcting me.

If for example I have a Scanner card, then in the RIO network I'll have:

RIO 1 = PV+ (Rack 0, Full Group)
RIO 2 = PV+ (Rack 1, Full Group)
RIO 3 = 1791R-16BO (Rack 2, 1st 1/4 Group)
RIO 4 = 1791R-16BO (Rack 2, 2nd 1/4 Group)
RIO 5 = 1791R-8V8P (Rack 2, 3rd 1/4 Group)
RIO 6 = 1791R-8V8P (Rack 2, 4th 1/4 Group)

The last rack (Rack 3) is spare.

I can't use expansion compact block IO as the IOs are tabulated all around.

Do I understand your explaination correct? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks...

Yes, that's right on. Each 1791R block will be a "Quarter Rack" of address space, but the I/O bits will be in the lower word.

I strongly prefer Ethernet or DH+ instead of RIO for a PanelView Plus terminal. Do it if you must, but take a lot of time planning and carefully creating your I/O tags in RSView Studio.

Ken Roach said:
Yes, that's right on. Each 1791R block will be a "Quarter Rack" of address space, but the I/O bits will be in the lower word.

I strongly prefer Ethernet or DH+ instead of RIO for a PanelView Plus terminal. Do it if you must, but take a lot of time planning and carefully creating your I/O tags in RSView Studio.

Correct, DH+ is easier, but the wirig we have to do double job because one blue host cable for DH+ one for RIO. (if customer is using SLC 5/04). In order to save cost we have to use RIO PV+. The distance for 1st to last noe is abt 150m.

May I ask normally the IO wiring (24VDC) can go up to how many meters? 30 - 40 meters only without amplifier/repeaters?