Quick PAnel communications to GE Rx3i PLC

MadPLC

Hello all
I have a GE quick Panel and am trying to get it to communicate to a GE RX3i PLC over ethernet. I used the GE TCPIP driver in the quick panel but it doesn't seem to work. I tried the snp driver but no joy there either. Does anyone have any tips or possible flaws in what I'm doing? Is the GE TCPIP native driver the one to use for Quick Panel to PLC ethernet comms?

Thanks

Ge srtp?

Nevermind SRTP if this is an actual QuickPanel and not a QuickPanel View. Per KB9286:

CE Based QPs support SRTP but the Regular QPs do not. The QuickPanel can be used with GE TCPIP driver to the PacRX3i. There are limitations though.

• No %W access
  • No Symbolics access
  • Will only talk to lower half of the register range (same range as the 90-70 maximum) i.e will not talk to the extended ranges.

Last edited:
I just discovered the issue. There is a switch under the project properties to enable the I/O. It was set to false. I guess maybe that is project default as I just created this project and made a few static screens. I did no simulation or anything. It works now.

You know, it's almost always the stupid little things that trip you up the most.

Thanks for your help caddymac.

Going to start with the basics...

You have to use the SRTP driver or EGD for PAC Controllers. GE TCP/IP driver is for Series 90 controllers only.

What caddymac said, can you ping the PLC from the QP command line?

Using Station Manager to gain access to the RX3i ETM, can you ping the QP?

Is the QP device driver set with the proper IP?

Are you trying to access Symbolic variables? If so, you have to use SRTP and the 3i variables have to have their Publish Property set to External.

Usually this is a simple process unless you get into Symbolics or some strange configurations.

Hope this helps!

Yeah that little switch caused me some aggrevation for sure. I'm looking at this:
GE Quick Panel
GE Machine Edition Software
GE Native TCPIP driver

and it doesn't work. I mean what the hell right :)

Thanks for the post too rkicklighter, good to know there are poeple here who know GE products as I don't have a lot of exposure to them.

I work with them everyday, actually it's about all I work with. Always glad to help when I can. However, I am very restricted as to what I can say and whom I can answer in a public forum. That's why I don't post very much.

Yeah that little switch caused me some aggrevation for sure. I'm looking at this:
GE Quick Panel
GE Machine Edition Software
GE Native TCPIP driver

and it doesn't work. I mean what the hell right :)

Thanks for the post too rkicklighter, good to know there are poeple here who know GE products as I don't have a lot of exposure to them.
I strongly suggest that you change the driver though, either to Native SRTP or the OPC Driver.

-----------
Guess I should feel fortunate, I can say nearly anything about any brand. No one pays attention anyway.:)
-----------