Encoder woes

I don't run any of our PowerFlex drives with Quadrature Check enabled. It is seriously overly sensitive, and there really isn't any need for it. Why does the OEM insist that it is required? Can they actually give a reason?

I am not quite sure why they do want this.
All I know is that they consider the way I am running now merely a band aid.
It seems to run well this way though.

Hey,

Since the drive uses the A quad B pulses to know the rotation direction ( as mentioned before ) it is important that the pulse timing is OK, and therefore ,if possible, checked by the drive.
There is very little chance that rotation direction is detected wrong. I had it once in my 25 years of working with drives, a 550kW DC motor on a GE Siltron drive went running full speed backwards when given a small forward reference.
So switching off the detection gives a small risk, but damage to your installation can be severe in some cases. I think, in your case, there will be some damage if the motor is running the wrong way. On the other hand, if the fault detection is too sensitive, as mentioned by rdrast, , there will be not much of a choice if you want to run this system without daily resets.

Greetings John.

Good morning all.
I just thought I should get back here and conclude this post and tell you all what ghost got in my machine.
I was sitting online with this unloader running back and fourth for hours as I normally do when something is troubling. I noticed something odd. I happened to look at the motor current display parameter and noticed that the very same motor that was running earlier that day at .8 and .9 amps was now drawing almost two amps every time it started. Keep in mind that this motor only runs for an average of 5 to 7 seconds at a time, then it pauses for roughly 20 seconds before continuing. I think for this reason I am not seeing a motor overload fault on the overdrawing motor. I stuck my amp probe on the 120VAC brake wire and realized that the brake was not drawing any current when energized. Then finally I realized that the brake has been stuck on, likely causing my encoder issues. I had a bolt put in the manual brake release to force it off and instantly the motor current dropped. As well, now the drive will run in quad check.
Who would have thought.
Turns out the OEM actually put the wrong brake in the motor. They have gone good for all parts.
A learning experience for me.

Thanks for all the good troubleshooting help. I actually took a lot of this advice and followed it. I really was looking for some noise related issues as they have gotten me in the past.