RSLOGIX 5000 PID Tuning Parameters and Thermal PID Loop Tuning

msohaibbutt

I am using PID instruction in RS Logix 5000 with independent equation. I am confused about its tuning. Please somebody explain under listed queries:
1) How increasing/decreasing tuning parameters will affect the controller action.
2) If i do not use Integral and derivative parameters how it will affect the controller action.
3) RSLOGIX 5000 instruction manual mentions SP-PV as direct and PV-SP as reverse but for a reverse acting PID loop when i chose SP-PV then my controller was acting as reverse. Why is that?
4) I have a thermal loop which i need to tune. I am only using KP=8 while rest of two are zero. When the controller increase the output to attain setpoint, PV overshoots because of slow rise in temperature. Same happens when the temperature is decreased. How should i tune the controller to solve this problem?

I am using PID instruction in RS Logix 5000 with independent equation. I am confused about its tuning. Please somebody explain under listed queries:
1) How increasing/decreasing tuning parameters will affect the controller action.
2) If i do not use Integral and derivative parameters how it will affect the controller action.
3) RSLOGIX 5000 instruction manual mentions SP-PV as direct and PV-SP as reverse but for a reverse acting PID loop when i chose SP-PV then my controller was acting as reverse. Why is that?
4) I have a thermal loop which i need to tune. I am only using KP=8 while rest of two are zero. When the controller increase the output to attain setpoint, PV overshoots because of slow rise in temperature. Same happens when the temperature is decreased. How should i tune the controller to solve this problem?
Do a google search for Zeigler Nichols. Follow the instructions. Or do a search for the many threads in here that answer the same question.

Some tips: Use the PIDE block instead of PID. Try the autotune feature. Be warned, though, PID tuning can take patience and a lot of experience. Temperature loops can have a lot of deadtime and the autotune often stops way too early to give appropriate gains. Good luck.