Omron CPM1a via modem

PeterRichter

Hi I am trying to set up remote acces to a Omron CPM1a PLC (with CPM1a CIF01 rs232 adapter) and just don't seem to be able to get it.

I'm using a sixnet VT-1 modem. I have exhausted the help from sixnet and the local omron dealer.
I want to access it from my computer at home. I dont need the remote modem to dial out. I am using Syswin as the connection software.
I have used the sixnet general PLC setting template and changed the protocol to the default in the PLC (9600 baud 7 bit even parity 2

stop bits). I was originally trying to use the built in modem in my PC and laptop, and could get some sort of communications between

the modems and then a fault message saying "no carrier". I read that these type of modems often don't work in this situation

(especially 11 bit), so i tried and old external modem (acer 56 surf) and seem to have gotten one step further. The message I get now

is "no response from PLC". I think I've got the right settings in the remote modem but I'm not sure about setting up the modem and

coms port on the local computer.
The lead I am connecting between the modem and the PLC has pin2 - pin 3, pin 3 to pin2 sig gnd to sig gnd. I have pins 4 and 5( rts,

cts) bridged on the PLC end and pins 7 and 8 (rts cts) and 6 and 4 (dsr, dtr)bridged on the modem end. I am not sure if pin 1(dcs)

should also be bridged in with these as well. I have flow control turned off on the PLC modem.
Should I have flow control turned off on the local end? WHat about DTR control? Am I better of setting everything to the standard 8

bit, no parity, 1 stop bit?
Has anyone actually done this set up or can anyone offer any advice. The sixnet application notes only cover two particular types of

Omron PLC - not the CPM1a. I've been at it for weeks. The omron dealer says that they offer an "omron" modem - but it is just an

office modem that they have put the settings in. I would much rather use a proper industrial modem.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Peter Richter

Richter Process Control
Redcliffe, Qld Australia
richter process control@ optusnet.com.au

Hi Peter

Welcome to our forum.

I never used Sixnet but I supply modem with a lot of Omron systems.
You need to set the remote modem and get the right cable.Sometime it would not work with the internal modeme on your PC because it software modem and not hardware modem.some PLCs like GE need external modem both sids.
I used 20$ modem this modem work with Omron but not with other PLCs.So nothings is abvious.
The AT commands you need are
PLC Side __________PC side
ATZ _______________ATZ

AT&D0 ____________AT&D2

ATS0=1 ____________AT&W

AT&W

Protocol: 9600, 7, E, 2

PM me your e mail I will send you cable pinout.

All the best

Peter,
The link is to the Omron US website tech note for Sixnet modem to CS1 with CX-Programmer. It should point you in the right direction.

http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/marcom/pdfcatal.nsf/PDFLookupByUniqueID/678E2FDF58A8D9C086256C1500469C08/$File/CS1%20Tool%20port%20to%20SIXNET%20modem.pdf?OpenElement

I just skimmed the tech note but I think all the important information is there.

Also, check your post on Mr.PLC.com.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got it. You're all going to think I'm a @#$% idiot.
I had been leaving the sheild wire for the PLC - modem cable off at one end. This is because, a lot of sheilding applications I have come across don't need the sheild on at both ends - and a lot require that you only connect one end. I fact even most of the diagrams I saw of PLC - modem cables only have it on one end. I have even read horror stories of people burning things out by having sheild connected at both ends when there is a potential difference between the two earth references.
Anyhow, I connected the sheilds together and hit "connect" again, not expecting anything to happen, and up she fired! That was with some pretty way off coms settings too. It seems that some of those settings arent that critical.
Thankyou all that offered help

Regards

Peter