A-B SensaGuard Safety Switches

ddnnis

I'm considering using the A-B SensaGuard non-contact safety switches as a replacement for the A-B Sipha sensors. My main concern is the accumulated response time of the SensaGuard switches when several are used on the same safety relay (sometimes we have 15 or more switches on the same relay). My understanding is the first switch is 54ms and every switch thereafter adds 18ms to the drop out time of the safety relay outputs depending on where the switch is in the circuit. The thought of potentially adding a 500 ms response time to our safety circuit has me somewhat concerned. Our machines are not extremely fast but it’s just the thought of going from almost instantaneous stop to worrying about response time calculations and what not. As anyone used these switches extensively? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or concerns regarding there performance, reliability, pro’s and con’s?

We have one machine on which we did the same mod...we got rid of the magnetically coded switches and installed the RFID based Sensaguard switches. This machine is in a rough environment, getting heated with hot high pressure water to 100 degrees F every night, washed with harsh detergents and then soaked with sanitizer chemicals, and then rapidly cooled to around 35 degrees F every morning.

We still have occasional trouble with connections (pigtails with DC Micro plugs), but the switches themselves have been a big improvement. Our circuit has 6 or 7 switches on it. I can't say for certain that any of them have actually failed since we made the change over a year ago. Some have been replaced, only to find connector corrosion or a loose wire later.

I did not know about the delays you speak of, got a link to a spec sheet?

Paul