Batch Recipe Management

wanher3

Hello,

Anyone knows of good ressources, tutorial or material to learn about how to implement a batch recipe management system.

I need to learn the implementation of of recipe management for both a batch and CIP (Clean in Place)

Thanks

Amazon

Not quite what you mean by "batch recipe management". Here's the definitive book on implementing S88 for batch control.

https://www.amazon.com/Applying-S88...038/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523706430

You might also look for ISA standard S95 -- which defines transactions (especially batch) between the control system and the enterprise system. Those principles could also fall under the umbrella of "batch recipe management".

To summarize, a true "batch" recipe has 2 components. 1 - defined parameters and setpoints, 2 - procedure, or sequence in which to execute control system equipment.

Google ISA-88 also known as S88

You need to figure it if you actually need batch recipe management. If you really do, then implement a batch solution like Wonderware InBatch, or FactoryTalk Batch but there is a learning curve with those as well.

Chances are you can get creative with PLC code and SCADA to create the "batch" functionality you need, but you'll hit limitations and you aren't familiar with the fundamentals of batch recipes it will become more challenging.

To summarize, a true "batch" recipe has 2 components. 1 - defined parameters and setpoints, 2 - procedure, or sequence in which to execute control system equipment.

Actually, a recipe has FIVE components:
  1. Header information (recipe name, creation date, approvals, etc.)
  2. Equipment requirements (size, heating/cooling/mixing capabilities, etc.)
  3. Formula (Ingredients and acceptable alternatives)
  4. Parameters (setpoints and report values)
  5. Procedure (sequence of events)

From a control system (PLC) standpoint:
#1 is mostly just noise.
#2 usually doesn't apply, because the system generally has what's needed (although some systems may have multiple vessels which may or may not be able to be used on a particular recipe. This is where having a PC-based batch manager like InBatch / IBatch / FTBatch / et al starts to come in handy.)
#3 falls into the same category as #2, the system usually has what it needs if the PLC is in charge of adding; if there are a manual additions, it doesn't care, outside of perhaps a "prompt phase".

Which leaves the two items you said, which are vital to the control system.

What is the general implementation concept for a recipe system ? Is it to store parameters, set points, and other components in a dababase and retrieve them when the sequence is running?

Where can I find a good tutorial on how it's implemented or maybe a good book ?

Is this the same project as in your other posts where you have the high speed counter card to the flow meter?

Is the goal to sort out a specific project or to learn about standards or methods in general? If it is the project then I would write down a specific example of a batch process, ingredients, times and set points.

Right now, I'm looking to learn about standards and methods in general as I'm currently bidding on a project that involves batching and recipes.

I would very interested to your specific of a batch system if you could write one, it will help.

Thanks

I would very interested to your specific of a batch system if you could write one, it will help.

Pretty sure he meant "if I was in your shoes, I would ....", I doubt he is offering to write an example.

Batching is one of those OJT things, but if you can find a training course for InBatch/FTBatch/Other... it would be helpful.

What is the general implementation concept for a recipe system ? Is it to store parameters, set points, and other components in a dababase and retrieve them when the sequence is running?

This is the key. Some processes only have a few different parameters, but the sequence is the same. Others use the same equipment, but the sequences vary wildly. Sometimes the process requires that a sequence spawn two diverging tracks that operate independently, then merge back up; or take optional paths, depending on conditions. It can get very messy, very quickly.

In the former case (different setpoints, same sequence), some simple PLC code with some indirect addressing to load the parameters into the Active Recipe might be all you need, with perhaps some sort of graphic to edit the parameters and create / delete recipes.

In the later case (different sequence) -- well, it can be done in a similar way (I've done it, more than once), or you can use some canned software (InBatch, IBatch, FTBatch, et al) to manage both the sequence and parameter part, and just let the PLC do the phase and equipment/control module control. (I've done that too; even had to write my own PLI (phase logic interface) when there wasn't one provided).

But this is not something that someone new to PLCs or process control is just going to learn in a "tutorial". Now if you're willing to cut a PO, I can come out and guide you through the process....:whistle:
---

Where can I find a good tutorial on how it's implemented or maybe a good book ?

Apparently, you did not read the first reply, where I posted a link to a good book. This is not a simple subject, so you will not get a simple answer. How to chop your physical process into Units and Equipment Modules, and how to chop your process into phases takes practice, and some trial and error.

Apparently, you did not read the first reply, where I posted a link to a good book. This is not a simple subject, so you will not get a simple answer. How to chop your physical process into Units and Equipment Modules, and how to chop your process into phases takes practice, and some trial and error.

I read your reply and already ordered that book. I may get back to you once things get more concrete. Thanks