Pro-face Factory Gateway Protocol

rhung

We have an Unix application needs to communicate with a number of PLCs with serial interface thru Ethernet. Each of these PLC connects to a Pro-face Factory Gateway unit (FG), and all the FG units are connected to the plant's Ethernet network.

We need to know the TCP/IP protocol of the FG units so that our Unix application can communicate with them. But we couldn't get a straight answer from Pro-face. Someone told us that it is a proprietary protocol call Memory Link. There is a document on their website describes the Memory Link serial protocol for their operator panels, I'm not sure whether they use the same protocol on Ethernet for their FG units.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a clue to help yourself would be to look in to how / what is communicating to the gateways in the current configuration.

Is there a serial connection between each individual PLC and each gateway?

What is communicating via your lan to the gateways?

The Factory Gateway units are like terminal servers that convert serial protocol to Ethernet except they understand the serial protocol of the PLCs and convert the serial protocols to their own proprietary protocol.
We have their operator panels connect to them thru Ethernet (LAN).

If this is proprietary, then there is no other place to get it from than Pro-face. Legally, I mean.

If they are not willing to disclose it... well, you would have to find something different to do.