RSLogix 5 ----- Rung Descriptions

gizmo

Greetings,
Somehow during the last 6 months, my RSLogix5 program has lost its Rung Descriptions. I can go to a backup ~1year ago and they are in it. I'm going to attempt to EXPORT-->IMPORT an .ERP file.

Any ideas about how this happens so I won't do it again.
Thanks!

I'm not sure about Logix 5, but in Logix 5000, but if I remember correctly, if you upload from the PLC to the computer, you will get all your logic, but the rung comments won't be there.

I don't think that Logix sends the rung comments to the PLC when it downloads.

-Steve

Followup

I'm pretty sure that the documentation of the program is not in the processor. I was thinking that the documentation lived in the "offline" file and when you uploaded, it somehow "merges" the existing documenation into the newer file created. I'm not sure, this is why I'm posting to help get a better understanding of how RSLogix handles database documentation.

Thanks...For your help!

I know RSLogix500 and RSLogix5 do not send comments to the PLC. Of the few different brands of PLC that I have been in, non do that. (Now the Allen Bradley Panelviews have the whole program/application in memory.)

Also, with the PLC, SLC or Micrologix, the program in the PLC must (I beleive) be an identical matching logic/program as the one you are veiwing offline, before you connect, to have the comments merge in automatically when you go online. If it's not an exact match, you can select another file from your hard drive, which RSLogix usually will seemlessly merge that PC stored files documentation with the logic uploded from the PLC. From there, I beleive you must to do a "save as" for your newly created file, which now has documentation, which was imported from another file. If you really want to see a mess, merge the documenttation from the wrong file into your freshly uploded logic from the PLC.

Last edited:
Dalem,

I don't know how you managed to merge the documentation from a wrong file. When RSLogix 5 asks what file you would like to use to go onine, it checks to make sure that the controller names are the same. I've never had this happen, and I am not sure I could make it happen if I wanted to. Exactly how did this happen to you?

Last edited:
Rsx 5

It sounds like someone saved the database files to a different directory. RSx 5 does an auto back-up at pre configured times. This is set up under the option tab I believe under the tools tab. I would do a search of your drive to find all Logix files. Some are missplaced.

What could have happened, was that RSLogix could not find the file on your computer and created a new one. I have actually hit the wring button and started a new file by accident.
You should have no trouble importing your comments as long as you have not added rungs, your I/O comments should merge fine.

I did some work for a guy, whom gave me the backup on a floppy for a machine he was rebuilding. It was a micrologix 1000 proc. I looked over the logic, figured out what I needed to do for him, went over there and could not get on line. After selecting the the file as the one to mere from, it did, but the program in the machine was an entirely different program. This part, I can not say forsure, but perhaps the PLC still had the same name? Otherwise, I may have done an ASCII export, then imported the documentation. Eitherway, we had a machines PLC with no documentation. He had made enough changes to the operation of the machine (I/O and mechanically) that we wound up going back to what he gave me on disk and making all the mods with this machines previous brain. The 2 programs (one in the PLC and one on floppy) were entirely different. Only a couple of the I/O were the same, but the rest of the logic was entirely different.

What a nighmare. All I was supposed to do was go over and find out why the thing would not fire glue. This project dragged on for months. Each time I got down to a small quirk to finish out, he was already making changes to operation and I/O again. When it was mentioned that he was going to remove the servo drive and install just a standard gear reducer, 3ph motor and brake, I gave him the back up on disk and told him to fend someone else and wished him good luck.

Last edited:
moltra said:
You should have no trouble importing your comments as long as you have not added rungs, your I/O comments should merge fine.

I don't believe it would matter, even if rungs were added. The imported documentation will still fall where it should go. If mods were done, any new bits used or new I/O used will not have the new descriptions and will need to be reentered manually.

Now you have me wondering where imported rung comments would fall. If one rung had been inserted, at say rung 130 and the old rung 130 had a comment above it, would that imported rung comment land on the new 130 or be placed at 131?

It depends whether your rung comment options are selected to "file/rung" or "output address".

If selected to rung number, then your rung comments will be offset by one.(the comment will still be at rung 130, which in the old program would have been rung 129)

If selected to output/address, then the rung comment will still be tied to wherever the output address on that rung is. I'm not sure what happens if you have deleted the output the rung comment is tied to in that case though..

Last time ago,this case happened to me also. But dont worry, as long as you have backup files wich ones contain any information (command) for your logic, follow this step.
First, open backup files (save back up files in your hard drive first)
Second, from your Rslogix Tool bar, choose TOOLS,DATABASE, ASCII EXPORT.
At documentation data base ASCII EXPORT select this point (*.EAS, *.EIC, *.ERP, *.ESG). and then you choose OK.
Third, Select your directory for save files (ASCII EXPORT)
Untill this step, you finish to Export your files command in ASCII CODE.
Forth, Close your backup files and online your PLC which one you would load the files.
Fifth, from tools bar, choose Tools, Database, ASCII IMPORT.
Sixth,On ASCII IMPORT Directives, choose OK.
Now you Ready to Import your Contain Files (*.EAS, *.EIC, *.ERP, *.ESG).
Enjoy it.