Should You Be Registered To Post?

Should Someone Be Registered Before Posting?

• No, It is not neccessary

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Yes, WITH e-mail address verification

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Yes, but no verifcation neccessary

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Who Cares?

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course Rick is referring to our recent troll outbreak. That dude is really annoying.

I know I'm taking myself too seriously when I get upset at the trolls for messing up my hobby.

Phil's post about the number of unregistered visitors being much higher than the number of registered users changed my mind. I don't want to put a hurdle, even a low one, in front of somebody who is going to post their first question.

Mandatory registration won't stop the determined troll. He'll open up a free e-mail account and use it once; and then he'll have an avatar.

So, I say leave the registration system the way it is, and everybody send Phil a double sawbuck for Christmas.

"Never ridicule a beginner. You can kill talent before it has the chance to blossom." -Knute Rockne

Thanks for the comment Rick...

Lots of intesting (or is it different) threads lately.

And at least one that was deep sixed. I found it amusing, wish I could have seen all of it.

I see some guys post who have been registered for a couple years with only a few posts.

If there is much comment on this "bump", I will post a new poll on this, and also add if person should be listed as a student, newbie, or ...

Ken Roach said:
Of course Rick is referring to our recent troll outbreak. That dude is really annoying.
... snip

You know what the sad part is to me... he's a member. :eek:

Although he's only been around a few months he does post a lot of useful stuff.
Why would a member who posts quite frequently want to cause disruptions? (n) Who knows...

Anyway, the more popular the site gets the more problems arise. It's a double-edged sword. But luckily the problems are still few and far between. (y)

Ignore them and 99.9% of the time they go elsewhere.

Enjoy,

You know what the sad part is to me... he's a member. :eek:
This is another reason to allow only registered posts.
This person would never post under his NIC to protect his reputation as well as his job.
Speaking of that post, I was going to post more info about V15, but once I saw the troll I decided not to do this.

Unfortunately while forum is growing it may require an additional moderator effort.
I use to have my own forum and it is so easy to see where people coming from, including all details. Warn offender once, second offence - ban.

Most know I have a site and forum too. The idea, especially when selling items too, is to have it open and available to all. I have to admit the troll, who I think may also be a member of my site and has posted a couple of times, had me considering that registration be a requirement for a second. It isnt worth it overall.

Who knows why the guy started "having his fun", his wife may have run off with the milkman, daughter ran off with milkman, son ran of with milkman....could be anything. We all get frustrated at times and look for avenues to vent, this may be his.

Its part of life, like the student with too simple or poorly phrased question, the co-worker that wont get off his duff, the spouse that spends too much...the list is long. We just deal with it and move on.

NOTE: you can click the edit icon and add to a post made within an hour. If only those wanting to help register WHO will be helped? Thats one of the reasons I have started ignoring some of the faux paus from the students, they have to learn somehow and it seems the classes offered are not always the most informative and up to date.

Last edited:
Ken Roach said:
...our recent troll outbreak. That dude is really annoying.

Supposedly, the appearance of "Mr. Sun" causes trolls to explode. Karl provided that tip a while back in THIS post... :cool:

It's worth a shot... :confused:

jossun.gif

Hopefully, that should do the trick... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric

I still vote NO. Like Bob's (testsubject's) signature says..."If you cant find anything that offends you then your not living in a free society"..or something to that effect.

It's our choice whether or not to rise to the "occasion" or just ignore a particular annoing or offencive post. My guess is that since the "troll" is a member, and made is post under an unregistered guest..goes to show that he/she new better...and so should we.

Anyway it's apperant that Phill took care of the matter, (or some of it anyway), and deleted many of the strange posts, including some of the replys to these posts...including some of mine (gulp!). Goes to show that Phill's on the job so not to worrry.

And thanks to you too, Ken. You were replying when I was and I didn't catch your post.

Ken Roach said:
EDITED QUOTE: I know I'm taking myself too seriously when I get upset at the trolls for messing up my hobby.

Mandatory registration won't stop the determined troll. He'll open up a free e-mail account and use it once; and then he'll have an avatar.

So, I say leave the registration system the way it is, and everybody send Phil a double sawbuck for Christmas./QUOTE]

Maybe we all sometime take it too serious.

Perhaps the hassle of opening an e-mail account would be enough of a detterent. At least if someone is registered, all posts under that name came from one person. When they are unregistered, they could be coming from several.

No doubt Phil would like lots of double sawbacks for Christmas.

Time will tell, I hope.

regards.....casey

What is the reason for NOT registering? Anonymity when you're abusing the forum? I say register. I could log on as "unregistered" and seemingly continue the rantings of someone else. Own up! I used to go by a login, then I started signing my name. I am responsible for my actions and everyone else on the forum has a mind they can use to appreciate, or not, my contributions/comments. Don't hide. If you think that something you intend to type is unnecessary, save your keyboard the wear and tear. But don't hide behind an ambiguous moniker.

I Registered to enjoy the priviledges of this forum, I wrote this post, and my name is Mark A. Crowley.

If I remember correctly, the last troll was a member, too. Hmmm...

It does seem to help when Phil says "I know who you are"

Then there was the time when Terry's password was hacked.

All in all, this forum runs pretty well with little moderation. Nothing like any other board that I have been on.

As a general rule things like registration discourage the kind of people you want to help and keep coming, and doesn't phase the people you want to get rid of. Nice theory, I doubt if it will have the desired impact.