PV900/1000 memory card

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all, I've got a unique problem transferring my .pva files from a memory card to a PV and backing up from the PV to my memory card.

I've got two systems, each contain 2 PV900s and 1 PV1000. I'm using a PCMCIA PNY 4 in 1 adaptor, teamed up with a SanDisk 256mb SD card. I can upload and download to/from the memory card on each of the PV900s. On both of the PV1000s they say the memory card is not formatted.

PV900 firmware: 4.20
PV1000 firmware: 4.41

When it comes to memory cards, is this a "your-mileage-may-vary" type of thing? Everything I've found says my firmware versions "should" play nicely. Or do I need to hunt down a < 32mb memory card? What is everyone using to do this?

I could always download it using PanelBuilder 32 over the DH485 network, but its a painfully slow process.

I am surprised that a Secure Digital card in a 4-in-1 adapter works as an ATA Flash device on any old PanelView terminal.

I've had good success with CompactFlash cards of 256 MB and smaller, formatted as FAT16, in a PCMCIA Type II adapter.

If this is an old PV1000 then the following may be true :-

These cards can only be written to by a proprietry reader - I forget the name now - they are IBM cards (iirc) badged up as AB.
I have loads of these things , and tracked down the company who made the reader , but they have long since finished selling the readers. Your only option is to use the PV as a card reader

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I'll try to find a CF card <= 256mb, hopefully I can find a cheap one. We have 1 gigs laying around here, but after a search it doesn't look like those are a sure thing either. Bummer.

10BaseT; those are old "linear flash" cards, which also worked in the PanelView Classic and in the PanelView 1400e/1000e. DataBook was the company I remember that made drives for them.

PanelView Standard terminals with v3.0 and later firmware (about 7 years ago) support both those older cards and "ATA Flash" cards. Most CompactFlash cards also emulate ATA Flash mode, so that's why they are in common use with PanelView Standard terminals.

see the tech note for PanelView PCMCIA memory cards

Standard PV Terminals, 550, 600, 900, 1000, 1400

Prior to V3 firmware, they only supported the PC Flash Cards (Databook).

NOTE: The PV550 Series A to D (Both and Keypad models) cannot be upgrade to V2 firmware. Must have Ser E hardware to have V2 or V3 firmware. This does not apply to the Touch-Only PV550.

See page 4-6 in the PV Terminal Manual, 2711-6.1, "do not format the ATA card on the terminal. The card becomes inoperable"

On page 4-8 , they also recommend 'disconnecting the card' F8 before removing it.

2/25/97
With V3 firmware, all the PanelView terminals now support the ATA Memory Card. This includes the PV550/600/900/1000/1400 terminals (not the 1200, 1000e or 1400e).

This card will allow copying files from a PC without a Databook PCMCIA drive.

Must also use the ATA Flash Memory cards, Catalog # 2711-NM22 2MB; -NM24, 4MB; -NM26 6MB.

The V3 firmware will still support the Flash PCMCIA cards (NM11, NM12, NM13, NM14).

The ATA card is used for file backup or for foreign language font file support.

There is also a memory card retainer clip shipped with the PV terminals.

NOTE: The ATA memory card is also required to install the communications f/w in the Cnet and Dnet terminals.
See the PV_FW_README.TXT file on PB32 CDROM.

Apr 99
Our vendor no longer produces the 2MB ATA memory card so the NM22 will be obsoleted. The NM24 and the soon to be released NM28 (8MB) are valid substitutes.

May 99
The NM26 is now also obsoleted.

Dec 99

For the ATA cards, we have two vendors, the primary vendor, Sandisk at www.sandisk.com and the secondary vendor, M Systems at www.m-sys.com. During Dec 99/Jan 00 we had some problems with M Systems cards in some computers, it would load the IDE drivers but would not be able to setup the ATA as a drive letter and the IDE driver would fail. Check if it is an M Systems card. Check Device Manager in Win95, is the IDE driver failing? Is there a yellow exclamation point on the driver? Select properties to see what the problem/conflict is.

M Systems was unable to resolve the problem. This seemed more related to Win98, but not conclusive.

See also knowbase doc 9676 for more information on installation issues in various computers.

Enhanced PV Terminals, PV1200e, 1000e and 1400e

The PV Enhanced Terminals only support the PC Flash memory cards (Databook), 2711-NM11 256K, NM12 1MB, NM13 2MB, NM14 4MB.

They do not support the ATA Flash memory cards.

They also do not support SRAM type PCMCIA memory cards.

April 1999

Regarding large capacity memory cards for the PV1400e

Found a couple of web sites that indicate that they supply the 10MB Intel cards in quantities of one.
Got the info from Intel's web site: http://www.intel.com/design/disti/, selected Semiconductors: Flash Memory

Wyle Electronics 800-414-4144 http://www.wyle.com/intel/index-wyle.html
Arrow Electronics 800-777-2776 http://www.arrow.com/

Avnet Electronics 888-405-2372, Pioneer Standard Electronics 800-227-4712, Rochester Electronics (972) 462-9332 either indicated that more than one needed to be purchased or to call for availability.

The largest size PC card that we have tested is 10M. Intel, IMC010FLSA, 10M x 8.

The 2711-NM15 will actually provide this 10M card (not the 8MB as
mentioned in the manual; The 8MB's are not available) Release date unknown.

The Intel, IMC020FLSA, 20M x 8, 20MB card is also available.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

Thanks Ken! The 256 CF card w/adaptor works great! Both adaptor and card are SanDisk.

And for an FYI for future readers:

I did try my 1 gig CF SanDisk card as well with success, I did format that as FAT16 as well. Both uploading and downloading worked great!

Hi all, I am trying to change the bit map screen saver on a new panelview 1000. Will the 256 CF card suggested work with panelview 1000 4.0? Will the formate FAT 16 work with the newer screen?
Thanks,
Mark

Panelview Firmware?

On a similar situation, I tried loading the firmware for a PV1400e from the Panelview Firmware Utility to a PCMCIA card (2711-NM12 - 1MB Memory Card) and it failed saying "Error 11: The memory is not large enough to hold the new firmware. Use a PCMCIA card with larger memory."

It seems that 1meg should be big enough for firmware. Does anyone know what size of card I need for the firmware?

Databook reader info needed too!

Also, I saw someone mention the PCMCIA drive made by Databook. Does anyone have any specific info on that drive? Model numbers? Am wanting to try to find one.

Hi Ken,

I have a NM11 256K memory card. When I try to download from Panel Builder 32, there is a message :-

Error(1007): could not open destination media
=========>Output file'xxx.PVA'could not be opened. The file could
not be accessed.

Please comment.

Last edited:
The 2711-NM11 is an old "Linear Flash" card.

Is this inserted in a PCMCIA slot in a modern PC, or are you using a DataBook drive ?

The old linear cards are unlikely to work with a modern PC Card slot and Windows 2000/XP.

I only use the Linear Flash cards as backup/transfer between physical PanelView Standard terminals. I haven't tried to work with one in a PC for probably six or seven years.

Yes, I slot it with new laptop (Windows XP). I have uploaded from the PV500 to the laptop thru PB32.
Does it requires to install the driver?

It's not a driver issue; most modern PC Card slots simply will not read those old Linear Flash cards.

Since you can upload from the terminal to your laptop, just stick with that mechanism.