Difference between a 1747 cp3 and a normal rs-232 cable(scnm9ff)

I hate to jump onto someone else's post, but I have an issue that might be along these same lines.

I am using a USB to serial cable that I believe was bought for this very use, and I can connect to and run the L35E, my only problem is that, in RSLinx, the controller shows up as "Unrecognized Device" and has a yellow question mark in front of it. I want to connect to this controller via ethernet, but I do not have the options to set the IP address in RSLinx.

Shane

That is usually a symptom of a missing EDS file in RSLinx. You may try to right click on the icon in RSLinx and 'upload eds file from device'. This option may not be available depending on the version of RSLinx you are running.

Tell us what version of RSLinx you're running and the firmware version of the PLC.

You should be able to right click on the "Unrecognized Device" and upload the correct EDS

Well, I downloaded and installed the EDS file for "L35E Ethernet Device" using the EDS Hardware Installation Tool, then followed the instructions on a a document which details the use of the BOOTP program. That document can be found at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-AK3ziGUUk2TmFrbFczeWI3R0E

I am now able to connect to and program the controller via ethernet cable (which I must say is MUCH faster than the USB-to-serial cable I was using before!).

I appreciate the nudge in the right direction!

Shane

(which I must say is MUCH faster than the USB-to-serial cable I was using before!).

Having the option Ethernet is the best way to go...but if your DB9 connection is slow you can change the baud rate on the CPU and have a better COM's connection, you will just need update the driver in RSLinx to your new baud rate also