Profinet and Ethernet networks

tim2

First, I'm more familiar with working with S7-300 PLCs that don't have a profinet port.

I'm being asked if PLCs with a Profinet port can be accessed from the normal company ethernet LAN to upload/download/monitor...., and if so, is there anything special required as far as hardware software in addition to the latest version of STEP 7.

These are not time critical applicatons. Sorry if this is a simple question, I've not worked with it and am not finding the information quickly.

I put a S7-315-2PN/DP on our internal network and I can go online with it from my office desk. I just asked our IT department for a set of IP addresses for the PLC and my laptop. I then set the address on my laptop and PLC and then configured the network in the "Set PG/PC" applet. I can go online and download to the PLC. The neat thing is downloading wirelessly - I do not have to get the CP5511 adapter out. I think this is what you are asking.

Hi tim.

To add to Imi'ike's input:

If the S7 CPU must be accessed via the company LAN, then it must be "reachable" from where the other PCs are.
That means that IPs and Subnets must match. Or, if there is a Router, the IP of the Router must be assigned to the "Gateway" IP address in the HW setup of the S7 CPU.

One more thing:

If you use a router, your programming PC do not have to have a fixed IP address, it can use DHCP. This may be more realistic if the PC must be on the company LAN and at the same time being online with the S7 CPU.