Panelview - PC : Comm Problems

mrhhassan

I'm having trouble connecting my Panelview 300 Micro to my PC - I'm using a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Anyway when I use RSLinx I added the panelview as a RS232 DF1 device and then used autoconfigure (successfully). The resulting node appears as a workstation using DH-485 (i.e. it is detected but...) that I cannot communicate properly with. If I force the device to use DF1 then it simply can't find the node at all. (Tiis is on Com2). The Panelview definately uses DF1 firmware (at least that what it says on the configuration screen).

I have a CompactLogix controller connected and communicating with the other com port (Com1).

The panelview micro itself has a panelbuilder program loaded in it that displays a 208 error whenever I connect to the PC or a new CompactLogix controller. I've been told that because the program on the controller doesn't have the same tags as on the panelview that this error will occur but I can't even connect the panelview to my PC to reprogram it.

Is there anyway I can clear the program on the panelview so I can reprogram it?

I think I need to start with getting the device to look correct with RSLinx but I don't know what to do there. Any suggestions?

I believe you have the wrong cable. The 1761-cbl-pm02 is only for micrologix to PC and micrologix to AIC net cable.
You may want to check with AB, I think the right cable for 300PV is 2707-NC8.

According to AB Knowledge base:

"Downloading to a RS232 (2711-xxx5 or 2711-xxx9) panelview from the panelbuilder software requires configuring a 1747-PIC driver in RSLinx or Interchange. The 1747-PIC driver communicates using the DH485 protocol over a RS232 electrical connection. Use one of the following cables to connect the computer communication port to the RS232 panelview: 2706-NC13, 2711-NC13, 2711-NC14."

I guess I'll try that.

-------------------------

Yeah that's except for the 300 Micro - AB says:

"8-pin mini DIN to 9-pin D-shell (null modem in the cable)
300 Micro to SLC Ch 0, AIC+ Port 1 or computer
MicroLogix to AIC+ Port 1 or computer
SLC Ch 0 to AIC+ Port 2
1761-CBL-AP00 45 cm/17.7 inch
1761-CBL-PM02 2 meters/6.5 feet
2711-CBL-PM05 5 meters/16.4 feet
2711-CBL-PM10 10 Meters/32.7 feet"

I used the 1761-cbl-pm02and AB says that works for the 300M to computer - I must be doing something else wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
If the cable is right (I am still not convinced though), try using 1747-PIC / AIC + Driver. Select the desired Port and Baud rate. See what’s happen. 🔨

Yes, you should use the PIC/AIC driver to hook up to Microviews and Micrologix, directly over a serial cable.

They do not use the DF1 protocol, which is what most people assume they should use for any serial cable hookup.

Just a thought....I had a similiar experience with 1400e panleview configuring correctly, but not communicating with my pc. Come to find out RS linx would show up uninvited and take over the com port. Once I laid LINX to sleep, coms went fine. I can even download and upload, however I now get a fault that says....conversion from pvd to panelbuilder 1400e file failed.

Ed

Ok,
From my experience with Ab touchscreens and software, I would suggest buying only a standard female to female RS232 cable, a null modem adapter, a gender changer, and maybe a nine to 25 pin if you need it. That way you can go on with most anything.

You could try connecting directly through Panelview32 via DF1 instead of passing through RSLinx.

Okay, take a deep breath. Now exhale.

The 1761-CBL-PM02 is fine for upload and download to the PanelView 300 Micro. I have it connected between my COM4 and the PanelView right now as I type.

The driver you want in RSLinx is the DF1 Full Duplex driver. If Autoconfig works, you're definitely hooked up right.

Now the browsing can be a little bit confusing. The PanelView will show up as a little touchscreen icon, and RSLinx will show up as a Workstation. The driver label in RSWho says "AB_DF1-1, DH-485".

Okay, now listen carefully. The "DH-485" label on the driver is WRONG. There is nothing DH-485-like going on in your driver. The reason that label is there is that the driver is intended for SLC-5/03 class devices that historically use DH-485. If you changed the Device Type in the driver from "SLC Ch0/Micro/PanelView" to "1770-KF2/1785-KE,SCANport", then the driver would be labeled "DF1-1, DH+". I cannot explain why, but the RSLinx guys must have thought it would be helpful to label the driver with a protocol it does not use.

[attachment]

Now, about that 208 error. You were probably able to Autoconfig your DF1 driver to the CompactLogix, and also to the PanelView. Examine both driver configurations closely, especially the Error Checking selection. For CompactLogix, the default error checking is BCC type. For SLC-500 and PanelView, the default error checking is CRC type. Probably the easiest way to match these configurations is to go into the Communications menu screen on the PV300 Micro and change the error checking type. Change your COM2 edition of the DF1 driver to match, then next time you download to the PanelView make sure you've changed that setting in the PanelBuilder application.

Now, you might not have the PanelView addresses correctly mapped in the CompactLogix as correlated INT arrays, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

pv300m_browse.gif

Yet another one of (my) life's little mysteries--> SOLVED

Ken Roach said:
Okay, now listen carefully. The "DH-485" label on the driver is WRONG. There is nothing DH-485-like going on in your driver. The reason that label is there is that the driver is intended for SLC-5/03 class devices that historically use DH-485. I cannot explain why, but the RSLinx guys must have thought it would be helpful to label the driver with a protocol it does not use.

I've wondered about that many times--
and never came with a reasonable explaination.

Thanks once again.

Success!

I added a RS232 DF1 Device and did not configure it straight away.

I manually entered the comm configuration from the comm setup on the Panelview and then hit autoconfigure for good measure.

I reset the panelview and suddenly got everything talking to each other. I could have sworn I did exactly the same thing yesterday but today everything seems to work like it always worked that way...

Many thanks for all the help!

Hi Guys,
I think thses pv's are real jins anyhow. About my problem I am having three types of errors at different situations. Communication LED's are working properely on SLC 5/03 OS301 and on PV550 2711-K5A2. Definately DH-485 is being used for the connection. But in normal situation error 613 is flashing. After reading the details of this error code I have concluded that some file from processer HMI is trying to find is missing but dont know how can i find which one. Because I dont have a copy of PV application running.
For uploadin Itreid passthru communication but it was useless.
Any sugesstions. Please help me out.
Yeah the two other error codes are 612 and 208.
I am just stucked.