Mitsubishi PLC FX2N with modbus

Platootod

Dear PLcs.net members,
Does any body know about Mitsubishi PLC FX2N can work with modbus
(communication) or not?
Where I can find some program example to communicate Mitsubishi PLC FX2N with Modbus?
I use PLC FX2N to control 2 pumps (include 2 butterfly valve from Rotork ,2 pressure sensors to detect water flow..(SFC programming language by Gx develloper program) ..
but..Could some one give some suggestion in
modbus or Porfibus control?(Remote Mode)

Thank you very much.
:)

Last edited:
Currently, as far as I know, the FX series does not support Modbus protocol. It's my understanding that they are introducing a unit that will support both Modbus and Ethernet in the near future but there's nothing officially announced. Here are a couple of ways around this:

1) You can write the algorithms for communication and by using the RS instruction can send and receive data. I've done this for a simple application using an FX2N with an FX2n-485-BD board where I only wished to communicate with a temperature controller and receive current temperature readings and/or establish new set points to the controller (this controller only communicated via Modbus RTU). The coding is complicated requiring many bit shifts (you have to hack around the lack of a bit shift and use the rotate instruction instead), XORs, and is difficult to troubleshoot. I have found an option though and it's:

2) Go to the site: www.renuelectonics.com where you can find a module (Gateway) that will work with a vast number of different PLCs. They also provide the translation software for free.

They also have an OIT (operator interface terminal) that is a great pushbutton replacement and is inexpensive.

... rab

Thanks a lot for your's answer

Thanks a lot for your's answer.
The owner(customer) ask me if he want to communicate PLC. FX-2N with other brand in the future that why I posted this thread.

Sawass Dee Krub.
:D

Hi there

I am not a salesman so please don't think I am trying to sell you something. Rabbit-Semi or now Digi (I don't work for them) have several Ethernet options. Their compiler is free and so are the Modbus libraries. I have developed a board that takes the Rabbit 2000 module with Ethernet and it also has 2 x 485 ports and one RS232 port. Somewhere I have a library that converts Melsec Ethernet to Modbus RTU using this board. I am quite willing to share the gerber files and software. Another option I have been tasked to do (Hence stumbling across this site) is to create a gateway to the FX series of PLCs. One can get in via the programming port, or spend a little more money and get in via RS232, RS485 or RS422 depending on the interface module one attaches to the FX2N. There is no need to purchase a dedicated serial card. The small plug on card is ample. I have quite a few ARM9 based boards here fitted with GPRS and 2 x RS232 ports. I have just completed a project for the ARM9 using Modbus RTU. Tibbo make an Ethernet gadget that converts Modbus Ethernet to Modbus RTU or Modbus ASCII.

Drop me a line if you need more help.

Quentin

Quentin,

I think the OP must by now have found a solution. This thread is almost 8 years old.

Regards,