842e absolut encoder keeps rebooting...

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi folks,

I have 9 process lines that each have a footage counter that measures strip length for a coiling process. I've had these for a couple years, no problems.

Today I'm working on one of these units.

The system is an 842e absolute encoder, L27 compact logix plc, a panelview 7 hmi, and I'm using a stratix 2000 unmanaged switch. These systems are isolated and do that interact with other networks at this point.

My problem is that my 842e encoder keeps (I think this is what is happening) rebooting. My module status on studio 5000 keeps cycling through the following: running, faulted, connecting, running, faulted, connecting... every 30 seconds or so. It will connect and work for a little bit, then fault again.

Any ideas?

I've changed the encoder and ruled that out. I am considering changing the cable, but wanted to see if you guys had any advice or next steps for me...

thanks,

John

Have you added any more devices on to that one system? Maybe a configuration conflict that has cause traffic issues?

I had an 842E that was sensitive to this. The other devices on the network operated properly. But this one would fault and have "memory" status issues.
My senario:
Did the same replaced it, and the cable, not fixed. It was caused by another device not setup to match the network.

bill4807,

No new devices...

I have three nodes total; encoder, plc, panelview...

I'm using a Stratix 2000 unmanaged switch as my hub...

I'm baffled by this, but that's not surprising since I've not spent a lot of time troubleshooting enet stuff... I'm learning some stuff through this...

I thought I had it fixed; I changed out the Ethernet cable and it was fine for about 24 hours...

Now I sort of researching design considerations and trying to determine if the system is designed with problematic tendencies...

One thing I'll say is that the rpi for the 842e module is set to 2.0 mS... I wanted it to be as precise as possible so I set that low... (Any thoughts about that?)

I'm running this is star topology, but in my 842e's module properties, on the network tab, it says "Network Mode: Device Level Ring, Network Topology: Linear/Star, Status: Normal." I thought it was weird that is says that the network mode is device level ring.

So, I'm only using Link 1 on the encoder...

Is there anything else that I could look at that might help?

Thanks,

John