Troubleshooting on-site... .pvb file, versus .mer file (Panelview Plus 700)

So you're saying I should go find a new card and use the Panelview to format it, then add it to the card.

No, you don't need a new card and it probably doesn't need to be reformatted. You just need it in the right directory, Ken and my post show the directory path that the MER needs to be in on the SD card.

I only mentioned that nonsense about putting it in the PanelView first because the PanelView will create those directories for you if they don't exist. I couldn't remember the exact path off the top of my head.

You might have a bunch of data logs that have filled up the internal flash drive, or a bunch of other Runtime files that are saved in the Internal Storage.

Go over to the "Copy/Delete Files" menu and see what's on the internal storage. I would use the SD card to move those off the terminal for safekeeping.

I think the "delete logs" is on the main menu; I don't recall for sure.

Just FYI...

The program is loaded. I'm now trying to figure out why a DINT that should be a 2 is a 1. There is an expression for a tag that has an "If, Else" and it is giving us the "1" value... just searching through the PLC tags to see where that value is determined.

It's a looooong day, but the customer really needs this up and running. Thanks, everyone. I'll post more if something comes up.

I know, right!? I'll have some more fun today. I was at the customer's till 11 p.m. last night, got home at 12:30. Once I get out of bed and get my laptop fired up, I'll be posting a question about troubleshooting with rslogix 5000. There is an array with a value in it that is wrong, and I can't figure out how the dint is being written. I'll take some screenshots and post some questions. More fun today! Poor owner probably didn't sleep a wink last night.

You use Ctrl + F to find a tag. It will show you all the rungs that contain it, then you have to follow the logic.

I did find all the rungs. The functions involved were all equals, comparing the array value to determine which printer is active. I thought maybe the value was written by the HMI, but I can't find where that tag is being used, other than for displaying which printer is active. I'm still fairly green with rslogix 5000, and I've got to think out of the rslogix 500 box for this one.

So you are 1/2 way there. Now what you need to do is go to the tag browser (or whatever it is called) in the HMI software and look for the tag. It will give a list of objects that are using the tag. The other thing to keep an eye out for is any aliases that reference the tag. If you have an alias somewhere that references that particular tag, you could miss it in your cross reference (I believe), but it could still be changed. An alias is simply a pointer to a tag.

I know, I did that last night. I found the tag browser and located the only spot in the HMI that had that tag. It was display only, no writing values. I'll grab a cup of coffee and fire up the laptop and post something in the next half hour. Logically, I'm wondering if there's another device that can write a value directly to a tag like this.

I know, I did that last night. I found the tag browser and located the only spot in the HMI that had that tag. It was display only, no writing values. I'll grab a cup of coffee and fire up the laptop and post something in the next half hour. Logically, I'm wondering if there's another device that can write a value directly to a tag like this.

Tags, in FactoryTalk, don't necessarily have to come from the tag database. Objects can be directly addressed. If you think the value is coming from the HMI, go into FactoryTalk and look for the binocular icon and search for the tag. If it is used in the HMI, it will tell you which object has that address.

In the PLC, I like to use CTRL+E (cross reference). The Cross reference window is easier on the eyes than the Find All window IMO. Plus you can sort by instruction type which can be helpful in these cases.