Can't restore .apa backup of FT View SE

Hi my friend,

Thank you for creating a new thread.

Mohbat Tharani said:
...Now, I tried to restore using Studio version CPR 9 SR 4 but got error message: ".apa is not a valid achieve."... (<<< archive)

Note: CPR = Coordinated Product Release | SR = Service Release

You are attempting to restore this APA archive file using FactoryTalk View 6.10 CPR9 SR4. But is it FactoryTalk View SE or ME that is installed on this workstation?

If using FactoryTalk View SE 6.10 CPR9 SR4...

Do you think it is possible that the APA archive file was created last year using a newer version of FactoryTalk View, such as v7.00 CPR9 SR5, for instance?

Or is FactoryTalk View 6.10 CPR9 SR4 the newest you have used to date?

Have you read the other thread that nhatsen kindly linked you to in the last thread you were conversing in?

Here it is again...

[TOOL] What version is this MER/APA anyway?

If you can attempt to find out the version of the archive file then it may narrow things down a bit for us here?

I am working from the list of possibilities found in this RA Knowledgebase technote article, as I'm sure nhatsen may have been as well...

49016 - FactoryTalk View Studio: Error "The file is not a valid archive file" when restoring an APA or MER file
Access Level: TechConnect

There are other possibilities here, including the mentioned of the file being "corrupted", as nhatsen pointed out. But we'll rule out others things first before drawing that unfortunate conclusion.

Do please try to find out the FactoryTalk View SE APA file version using dmroeder's excellent tool (<<< no euphemism intended!).

Regards,
George

Hi my friend,

Thank you for creating a new thread.

Note: CPR = Coordinated Product Release | SR = Service Release

You are attempting to restore this APA archive file using FactoryTalk View 6.10 CPR9 SR4. But is it FactoryTalk View SE or ME that is installed on this workstation?

If using FactoryTalk View SE 6.10 CPR9 SR4...

Do you think it is possible that the APA archive file was created last year using a newer version of FactoryTalk View, such as v7.00 CPR9 SR5, for instance?

Or is FactoryTalk View 6.10 CPR9 SR4 the newest you have used to date?

Have you read the other thread that nhatsen kindly linked you to in the last thread you were conversing in?

Here it is again...

[TOOL] What version is this MER/APA anyway?

If you can attempt to find out the version of the archive file then it may narrow things down a bit for us here?

I am working from the list of possibilities found in this RA Knowledgebase technote article, as I'm sure nhatsen may have been as well...

49016 - FactoryTalk View Studio: Error "The file is not a valid archive file" when restoring an APA or MER file
Access Level: TechConnect

There are other possibilities here, including the mentioned of the file being "corrupted", as nhatsen pointed out. But we'll rule out others things first before drawing that unfortunate conclusion.

Do please try to find out the FactoryTalk View SE APA file version using dmroeder's excellent tool (<<< no euphemism intended!).

Regards,
George
I really appreciate the quick and worthy help of the platform. I am using Factory Talk Studio (ME & SE both installed) 6.10 SR4. But, I don't remember the version that I used last time neither my client do remember. By using the your software setup V1.4 I get to know that last time I used V7. Snapshot link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps7h7x1rw32wpbw/FT View Version Number.png?dl=0

I believe that Rockwell software don't have back comparability. Am I right?

Is this the reason which don't allow to restore - i.e I have FT View V6.10 and last time development was done in V7. Looking forward to your valuable response.
Thanks

I really appreciate the quick and worthy help of the platform. I am using Factory Talk Studio (ME & SE both installed) 6.10 SR4. But, I don't remember the version that I used last time neither my client do remember. By using the your software setup V1.4 I get to know that last time I used V7. Snapshot link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps7h7x1rw32wpbw/FT View Version Number.png?dl=0

I believe that Rockwell software don't have back comparability. Am I right?

Is this the reason which don't allow to restore - i.e I have FT View V6.10 and last time development was done in V7. Looking forward to your valuable response.
Thanks

Correct, You cannot restore an archive built in a newer edition.

You will need to install 7 or higher to the restore that application.

Geospark said:
...Do you think it is possible that the APA archive file was created last year using a newer version of FactoryTalk View, such as v7.00 CPR9 SR5, for instance?...

OK, the answer to that is obviously now "Yes".

Another question...

You originally said...

Mohbat Tharani said:
I made FT View SE application last year and saved its backup. I forget the version of FT View Studio I used that time...

...last time I used V7...

As you are sure that you created the v7 application and that you backed it up, then I am wondering if you still have access to a workstation with FactoryTalk View 7.00 installed, or even v8 or v9? Then you can do as Dravik has suggested.

Also, just to be clear here...

Mohbat Tharani said:
...I believe that Rockwell software don't have back comparability. Am I right?...

I think you mean "backward compatibility"?

Yes, they do...

For example, View Studio v6, can open a v5 application that was created using View Studio v5. View Studio v6 can also create a new application and compile it as a v5 application runtime file.

Another example - If using View Studio v7, you can open or create and compile application runtime files all the way back to v3...

View Studio v7 Create Runtime Application options...

Runtime 7.0 Application
Runtime 6.10 Application
Runtime 6.0 Application
Runtime 5.10 Application
Runtime 5.0 Application
Runtime 4.0 Application
Runtime 3.20 Application
Runtime 3.10 Application

Likewise, newer View Studio v8 or v9 installations can also open their own version application files or older, such as your v7 application file.

Any version of View Studio, that is the same as or newer than the application you are attempting to open, will be backward compatible.

But, in your specific case, it would not be backward compatibility that you would require. You are attempting to open a v7 application using v6.10. View Studio v6.10 will know nothing of a newer version application. This would be forward compatibility that you would require. This is certainly not supported by Rockwell for this software product.

Regards,
George