Studio 5000 Question

This is technically true (but might not be what you want to do). RSLogix 5000 was made in versions all the way up to v20. Starting at V21, the program was simply renamed to Studio 5000 (more specifically, Logix Designer)

There is no such thing a s "backwards compatibility" in Logix-land. To deal with this, you end end up installing each major revision for every major firmware revision you want to support. For example, if you have a PLC that has v19.xx firmware and one that has v24.xx firmware revision, you must install RSLogix5000 v19 and Studio5000 v24. If later you end up with a controller that has v30.xx firmware, then you'd install Studio5000 v30. They will all run "happily" together on the same machine.

Edit: I should add that Studio5000 will actually open a RSLogix5000 program, but it will convert it to the version of Studio5000 that you have. This is ok if you simply want to look at the program, but will not work if you want to go online with an existing PLC.

Last edited:
I am setting up a PC for a colleague with no Rockwell software on it yet. Mine had Logix5000 on it before I installed Studio 5000. Can I only install Studio 5000 now, then install Logix5000 later if I need to open older projects? Or should I start with Logix5000 first?

I am setting up a PC for a colleague with no Rockwell software on it yet. Mine had Logix5000 on it before I installed Studio 5000. Can I only install Studio 5000 now, then install Logix5000 later if I need to open older projects? Or should I start with Logix5000 first?
It's worth browsing the project files that will be needed to see what controller firmware revisions are required to have the software versions installed properly. A v21 Studio5000 file will not open with v30 unless firmware is updated in the PLC.

psychosunshine said:
...Can I only install Studio 5000 now, then install Logix5000 later if I need to open older projects? Or should I start with Logix5000 first?

You will receive varying opinions on this one, but my best advice is to at least consider installing RSLogix 5000, at which ever versions you think you will require (up to v20), on either a separate dedicated workstation machine, or in a virtual session on the same machine as Studio 5000 (Example: VMware). Install Studio 5000 on the host OS of the single machine, or dedicated machine, if considering two workstation machines. Whether choosing to segregate them or not, best practice is to install the oldest version first, up to the latest you require.

When installing both RSLogix 5000 at multiple versions, and likewise Studio 5000 multiple versions, on the same workstation, within the same Operating System, there are many nuances and subtle incompatibilities which may cause you issues with interoperability between the two software platforms and the Operating System, depending on what that is, and beyond to the wider field of automation devices. You may install them all together and they may get on famously, as some do report here is the case for them. But my experience tells me that such success is not a given. When I read members here saying things along the lines of..."I don't know what all the fuss is about?"..."It works perfectly for me with them all under the one hood?"...I would wager that they cannot tell us why, specifically, their install base works when perhaps someone else's does not? Because it tends to be a bit of an unknown or "suck-it-and-see" scenario, I would always advise users to segregate them.

For me personally, if RSLogix 5000 v20 works well with RSLinx Classic v2.59, then that is what I will continue to use and maintain as the cut-off point. I would not want to be installing the latest version (currently v4.10) on this same system just for the sake of staying current. I have not tried RSLogix 5000 v20 beyond RSLinx Classic v2.59 in a working application setting, and nor have I needed to. All I need to know is that at RSLinx Classic v3.51 there was major change which affected many users...

Another major hurdle here between the old and new can be the update at Studio 5000 v21 to the newer EDS Subsystem (Electronic Data Sheets) which is used to handle the registered EDS files for identifying and configuring devices. Certain older versions of Rockwell software will not work once the original Windows Registry based EDS system is converted to the new SQL Database system. There are several existing threads here on the Forum based on this issue alone when it comes to users possible needing to either upgrade or segregate between pre and post version 21 software environments.

It's your choice though.

Regards,
George

jholm90 said:
It's worth browsing the project files that will be needed to see what controller firmware revisions are required to have the software versions installed properly. A v21 Studio5000 file will not open with v30 unless firmware is updated in the PLC.

Just a couple of subtle corrections here...

Firstly, if I may, A v21 Logix Designer project file will not open full stop in any newer version of Logix Designer. It will have to be converted to v30 before it will open as a v30 project.

Secondly, the current firmware revision, loaded in the controller that is running the project you wish to "open", will have no influence over what you can or cannot do with the offline project in any version of software. If by "open" you meant go "online", then yes, I can understand what you may have meant here? If you try to open the v21 project you will be prompted to convert it to v30. If you proceed and convert it to v30, then to go online with the project controller, you must first flash the controller firmware to revision 30.xx and then download the v30 project to the controller. Then you can go online.

I think you probably know all this and it's just your choice of the word "open" that has suggested to me a misconception on your part?

Regards,
George