SICK DRS61 encoder and S7-SM338 counter

smf

Hello

First of all.. i have Zero experience with both the SICK encoder and the FM counter but i have to try to get this thing working.. i ran into the first trouble within a few seconds after opening the box with the enocoder, the problem was that i was reading the manual for the configuration program and i dont understand this text: "Enter your numer of lines and zero-pulse width and store the modified values with the Store-button"

i dont know what "number of lines" and "zero-pulse width" means so if anyone could explain it for me i would be very happy.

Hello, snf;

Here is a quick list of diferent incremental encoder types:
Encoder_types.jpg

Depending on what you want to do with your process, choose the application you need and store it in the encoder flash.
The zero-pulse width will be the time in ms that this signal will be at the speed the encoder will turn (you must calculate as best you can).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello dchartier

Yes that helped a bit, thank you :)
And i have found out now what "number of lines" means (resolution) so now i'm ready to get inte the big problem..

In the last post & in the title i wrote that i was going to use sm338 but that was wrong.. aparently it's a FM350-1 counter that's used.. i found a quickstart tutorial at siemens website but i didn't think it was any good, is there any better tutorials?

@dchartier

Yes i was refering to the get3051_e.pdf document and i followed it... and guess what.. it doesn't work! :D

Whatever i do the Red LED Sf is on.. the diagnosis says incorrect parameters. I have been reading in the big manual also but right now i prefer the quickstart tutorial because it has a very easy program example but since i can't even get the hardware configuration right i'm stuck

I've never used the FM350, but I have used the FM352-5, which has it's own CPU. I wasted about two weeks with a similar - non-existant - problem, because it turned out that when the FM352-5 is in STOP it sets the error LED and in the diagnosis, if I remember correctly, the cause was given as incorrect parameterisation.

If the FM350 has its own STOP/RUN switch try ignoring the error and set it to RUN anyway.

Edit: If you search for FM352-5 you'll find the thread I started on this topic. It covers all the problems I ran into. How many will be relevant to the FM350, I can't say, but it may give you some ideas.

Last edited:
Attached is an exported h/w config from a working 318-2 CPU plc project that uses an FM350-2. You could import this into a blank h/w config to check the parameter settings.

RMA said:
Edit: If you search for FM352-5 you'll find the thread I started on this topic. It covers all the problems I ran into. How many will be relevant to the FM350, I can't say, but it may give you some ideas.

Hello RMA, yes i read about your experiences yesterday while searching for help on this forum, it wasn't very relevant to me because FM350 seems to be a bit different but atleast it felt better knowing that other people also run into this kind of "small" problems and get stuck forever :D

the FM350 dosn't have it's own run/stop switch

L D[AR2 said:
Attached is an exported h/w config from a working 318-2 CPU plc project that uses an FM350-2. You could import this into a blank h/w config to check the parameter settings.

Great! thank you, i'll look into it and see if i can find anything usefull.

Earlier today i was in contact with the siemens support for the first time in my life, they couldn't help me at that time and said that they would phone me back soon after i had e-mailed them my HW config.. that was 7 hours ago and still no help :(

Ok i have solved this now and it was an non-existant problem ofcourse :D
The problem was that i had misunderstod how to set the code key for 24V so many hours got wasted on nothing.. but atleast it's working now and hopefully this machine will be up and running on monday